What if???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by lewisboats, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Real boats are built in cubits...anything else is an also ran...deal with it :D.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

in metrics:
    5 4 f x 8 f sheet of ply = roughly 1.22m x 2.44m x 6mm x 5= roughly 15 metre sq. for 5 sheets
    24 oz liquid fastener = roughly 0.71 litre,
    1 gal of sealing resin = roughly 3.8 litres,
    5000 sq in of glass cloth = roughly 3.226 metre sq.
    1 bf = 1 inch x 12 inch x 12 inch, so 75 bf of solid framing lumber = 75 square ft. = 6.97 metre sq.

3. hoytedow

I don't make the rules but I think 3 metre by 1.5 metre plywood is acceptable. Anyone disagree? I will be envious that we don't have that readily available here in U.S., however.

4. lewisboats

Ah...the exact response I was looking for...GOOD on you and BEST of luck on your design...If it deserves the vote may it get the vote! Construction is always subject to the variances of time and money!

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Nondimensional sketch of a tri done without further thinking.. :p in five min..

Attached Files:

6. lewisboats

Off the top of my head... Viper...just a name...but that is what came to mind first...now...to develop it to something viable.

7. hoytedow

Off the top of my head... Dandruff...just a name...but that is what came to mind first:):)...now...to scratch that itch.

8. lewisboats

Take a shower...use Head and Shoulders...Think about boat design...g'night

9. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Just lookin into my "pretty" picture.. it looks like a centerboard bcs the keel is not visible in the side view..
    Like Viper..:cool:

10. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

:D :D

11. hoytedow

A quick lesson in board feet, and I stand to be corrected if I am wrong. All examples are for boards 1 inch thick.: board 12 inches wide and 8 feet long contains 8 board feet. A board 4 inches wide and 24 feet long contains 8 board feet. A board 3 inches wide and 32 feet long contains 8 board feet. A board 2 inches wide and 48 feet long contains 8 board feet.

12. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

lewisboats,

I guess you missed it... what you proposed is nearly the identical concept at currently being discussed at http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...ompetition-sname-norcal-30404.html#post320681

First reaction... way too many rules

Here's how I would simplify the rules...
    My 2-cents

13. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Teddy I like the rig . Am I right in assuming the yard flips with one end becoming the new tack while the (stay sail?) tack remains fixed to the bow and that because it's head is fixed to the end of the wishbone which is aligned with the center axis of the main sail it controls the sheeting angle on either tack?

14. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

About right.. no stay sail, it would be "inside" of the main. There's a "battenboom" pretensioned in the mid of the sail to control camber and the sheeting angle. Mast is stayed "single" pole. This way the main yard and sail have clean airflow away of the mast. A flying "studding" sail can be used on foot side of the main or , when running, bigger one over the whole length of the sail leech to turn it onto a big square sail. That could be quite pitchpole delicate..:D

15. lewisboats

I did miss it because I haven't checked in on the thread since I last posted in it.
    However:

You (the rules) just eliminated most folks who might participate. I suggested a virtual contest BECAUSE I can't BUILD the boat and GO to the meet to race it. I work 7 days a week, 80 (+) hours and I only have 2 weeks vacation which are committed to. I already have 3 boats under construction...the oldest is going on 5 years, one is just parts and the one I hope to finish and use next summer isn't even of my own design...although I did modify it a tad. I don't have heated facilities to do my building in so I have probably 4 solid months of no construction. I am effectively out of your competition because you (they) would not have any way of judging my design by your competition criteria (I am also not an engineer...and if I read the rules correctly...it is required). Even if all the previous is not valid...I think you will find that most folks can't simply drop a chunk of their life to design AND build AND travel to AND compete in what should really only be a fun design exercise.

Next: By the design rules the only thing it has to do is go fast. It doesn't have to be comfortable, it doesn't have to be seaworthy, it doesn't even have to carry a person. By the rules I could build a remote controlled 30 ft long pencil thin proa or planing mono with a ballast displacement ratio of 60%, an enormous sail or sails, a 10 ft deep bulb keel and win the race hands down, or even build an extra long slinky foiler! No restriction on design...open to interpretation or whatever I can think up! I can thing up some pretty funky stuff if need be.

No limits on spars or materials...? Surely nice for those that can afford the exotic carbon fiber, stainless rigging etc. You will find that the winner in this case not only has the smarts to design a decent boat but has the funds available to use the best materials, the time to invest in meticulous construction and testing, with much tweaking to get every ounce of performance out of it prior to anyone ever seeing it...Provided the rules allow for it (apparently they do!). That sure lets me out of the game!.

One of the reasons I suggested that the plans be free is that none of the boats would probably ever get built... but even if a professional's design won surely the good will generated by making the plans free would work as an advertisement. Look at the D4...many, many...have been built and I am quite sure that the people who build from those plans go back first to look at and possibly buy other plans from Jaques before going on to anyone else. Should other than a pro win...I think they would be tickled pink to have someone want to build their boat. I also didn't say that a reasonable charge couldn't be asked to reproduce the drawings...if they are paper prints...nor should the postage be free.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.