What design features make life aboard comfortable & practical for females?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wilma Ham, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ventilation!! Ahh yes one of the most dis regarded points to tropical cruising . It sounds as though you are already aware of this. I had to sell a boat once as it was just totally unsuitable for this area, at 48 feet it was stiffling and unbearable at nights, very uncomfortable. What it needed was air conditioning!! But then you have to run the gen all night or go to the Marina
    Quite simply it is almost impossible to get enough

2. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

I'll take a boat that's more likely to get knocked down in exchange for a boat that's more likely to kill me, any time.:D

We both know that these are not reliable stats. Secondly I think this is the only one of several such analyses of "bad" major races that has shown any such correlation between size and seaworthiness (apart from the 50+ footers).

3. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

Gentlemen, after a long nite of exchange guard on top, a very warm bed will not feel any bad at all. if you feel warm just joint the crew upstair and see the star until your tired.

A warm room would be good thing if we are in colder climate friend.:)

4. Finlander

Finlander Junior Member

cargo hull

I see plenty of newer, sleeker hull shapes around here--lots of steel construction. Sure, they look faster when empty, but they can sit quite low when fully-loaded for travel. At that point, I question how much faster they really are--or how safe for that matter.

For example, in a nearby harbor, there's a steel 38-foot cruiser visiting with a crew of 3 or 4. It's fitted for travel and even has elaborate solar panels, etc. IMO, the vessel sits dangerously low. But somehow it made the passage from Nova Scotia.

Remember, I'm staying under 40' and want maximum fuel, water and storage capacity. Plus, it needs diesel heating, hot water AND room to store bicycles inside when underway.

So, for best performance, considering fully-loaded displacement AND comfort requirements--so my wife doesn't feel claustrophobic--the hull needs to be more cargo-oriented rather than a 'modern' and 'sleek' type. The Spray is a strong contender, but again, I'm not 100% decided. There are also some other cargo-style sailboat shapes around here that I like.

5. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

so what are you saying?either would be OK,agreeing with me or agreeing with
    westlawn5554X?

6. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

deleted

7. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Ventilation is important even more so when cooking with propane, it puts out a lot of humidity. On the liste of "luxury" details we are planning a venting hood over the stove, it will be a nice add on that I guess most women would not spit on.
    5554X,
    yes women sometimes roll up their sleeves and would have comments on what would make the egine set up nicer. I want an integrated sump pump on my engine oil pan and attached on a easy acces spot. Oil changes are too messy, the drain is always on a titgh spot. Such a regular and simple task as oil change shouldn't be a quest.

Murielle

8. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

This thread is quite interesting. Even if it is attracting some rather badly thought out arguments at times. Ventilation IS important on any size of boat, as is a little heating. Even here in summer it tends to be quite cool at 6.30am.

Making an engine-room friendly is actually quite hard unless you can get around the whole engine, which rarely ever happens (unless it is a pure racing yacht) because of insulation, quater-berths and the like.

What makes a good yacht really nice is the attention to detail. Having nice, comfy cushions which don't give you a bad back when you sleep on them. Anti-slip being in the right place. And similar small things will make a big difference.

To reply to the "bigger boats don't get knocked down as much" comment earlier on this thread, a knockdown will rarely break a boat. and for Offshore purposes the AVS should be well in excess of 120 degrees. It is worthwhile checking the STIX rating (if the boat complies with ISO) and ensuring that it is well above the minimum value for it's classification.

As long as the boat is well designed, I would have no qualms about sailing even a 30 footer offshore. However, I feel it is foolish to base your opinions of offshore cruisers/racers purely on length.

Tim B.

9. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

yh,in the north it can be very warm at night or freezing cold,rarely cool.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why do guys keep harping on about Fastnet stuff and this will turn over and Bla bla. This is very interesting knowing what gets girls on your boat. It used to cost me just a Gin and tonic or two but now, these days, well with inflation and all. It could be that my flared trousers and my wig with my stick on hairy chest thing dont go down too well in the Disco. Ok Ok I have removed the medallion because it used to get caught in the hairs.

I keep forgeting stuff all the time too. I walked up to a girl the other day and said 'Do I come here often'

No this is very interesting, I need to know this stuff.

11. Finlander

Finlander Junior Member

I think medallions have made a comeback. You might want to rethink :D

I don't know about hairy chests though :?:

12. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I'll chime in on the whole size thing again.
    Small does not mean unseaworthy. Remember Henry Pigott's Glory II, the 19.5 ft Colvic Watson in which he circumnavigated the globe? But look at how that boat is built- 4.5 tonnes displacement, a 7-inch solid oak stem, portholes barely larger than my hand mounted in beefy, well-secured frames.... the list goes on. Seaworthiness comes from good design and solid construction, not necessarily from size.
    On the other hand, big does not guarantee seaworthy. How many 110' motoryachts are there, that would snap like twigs in a decent offshore gale? Quite a few. Again, it's how the boat is designed and built that matters.
    Personally, I wouldn't go too far in anything under 40 feet- I need my space. But I wouldn't automatically reject a smaller boat as being unseaworthy, if it is designed for what I'd be doing with it.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I would quite happily sail off shore in a 30 footer too as long as it was a nice day and we were going home at 4pm.

As far as basing opinions on a offshore criuser /racer on length being foolish I agree with you. Theres no such thing as a criuser/ racer. have you ever heard of a 4 wheel drive Ferrari.

It all boils down to the same reasons, trying to justify small boats and mixing purposes so that you can sell it. Absalute ply wood rubbish with stuck on carpet.

Thats mostly what I see at the boat shows. The thing is people cant afford any thing else, so you give em what they can afford,--- 35 foot offshore blue water criuser/ racer, gin palace Santa monica, South France, dream, dream, suntan, ********. Birds in Bikinis free gin and tonics, Easy payments, time share, shared ownership ---- excuse me I have to throw up.

1 person likes this.
  14. Finlander

Finlander Junior Member

boat show specials

Ha! And some of these aren't even all that affordable. And they're definitely not meant for sea. I hate to say it, but these ARE boats designed to please a woman's tastes.

Paradoxically, a KISS boat would be both, more ocean-capable AND cost less. But few build them and I guess few buy them.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

These ARE boats designed to please a woman's tastes.

Absalutely, Notice the warm soft lighting, the matching covers,Oh and the little flower and vase on the table.

Oh and Oh the scatter cushions.

Any woman will walk onto something like that and say '' MMm Ok I could live on this'.

Creaking cheap plywood floors and all. Oh by the way wheres the engine?, Oh dont worry about that sir, it will never break down, you just sign here sir.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.