What to build?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Elias_Fleishman, Feb 6, 2011.

1. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hello Elias,

I re-read your thread and tried to ignore the distructive conversation betwen PAR and Capt Bill, concentrating on your posts. I sum up your needs and wishes: fast, singlehanded but with the option to carry two or three for a trip, trailerable, limited cash.

What makes me wonder that a young guy from highschool is looking for a classic design like the snipe or the dragon but is speedloving at the same time.

In general the Paperjet is a good boat for you, but you must be aware that you can take just one light passenger with you and its better he or she knows what to do. Just (or even more extrem) as the fireball you mentioned first!

Perhaps Dudley Dix has a bigger version of the paper jet currently on his drawing board ... perhaps its a good idea to ask him. A bigger version would give you the displacement to invite your friends for sailing.

If you are able to spend 5500$ on a boat and have a car for towing ... the i550 sportsboat would be a alternative. But this is a big project and needs a lot of time to build. I think a little more effort than building a classic snipe. Are you alone with this project or do you have help from friends and family? You can take a look at youtube ... have fun with it.

Ok, thats it. Make your choice carefully and think it over again. There is no reason that you have decide today or tomorrow. You have to be sure in your decision, because you will spend a lot of hours in the workshop, no matter what you will build.

Grreetings from the North Sea Coast, Michel

2. Elias_Fleishman

Elias_Fleishman Junior Member

i dunno ive always had a soft spot for older designs in everything(i drive a 1976 ford maverick) and i love working with my hands. there is no better feeling than the sense of accomplishment you feel when you have made something functional with your bare hands. but there is also no better feeling that surfing waves as you fly down wind on a fast boat. but yeah i wont even be able to start doing any work for a couple more weeks. im makin a list and checking twice of the boats that i want to build. so far the order is i550, snipe, paperjet and others.

3. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

Still in high school? HAHAHA
    Either I totally missed that little detail or you didn't tell us.

If I were your age I would definitely want a skiff too. Paperjet aught to be a blast. Save what I said before for waaaayyy off in the future and go with the performance skiff while you are young and still can.

And since cash flow is an issue, if you are serious, start watching ebay now for Dyneema rope, hardware etc. You will need alot of it and will save big $$ doing your own splicing. It's fun and easy too.

4. Elias_Fleishman

Which build would be fastest I'm in school till late may and I would like to have the boat finished by then

5. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Paperjet ist the fastest to build

6. Elias_Fleishman

In case some of you are wondering I decided on an i550 and I will begin construction in about two weeks. In the words of borat: " I'm very excite!!"

7. luckystrike

luckystrike Power Kraut

Hi Elias,

you choose a boat with a perspective into the future. This for sure is a big project and I wish you the best of luck and mental strengh to push your project forward to up the end. I hope you have some skilled friends to help you. It would be very kind if you keep us informed about your progress.

Good Luck, Michel

8. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

Go for it man. That skiff looks like a blast.

Take lots of pictures so we can join in the fun.

9. Elias_Fleishman

If y'all want to see some picture is what I have been doing lately check out my blog: i550chrystal.blogspot.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.