wave tub under 30k?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by billyc, Feb 26, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Visit your fishing fleet next door!

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well, not entirely mild.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nein, Kiebitz!
    But looks like the old Stampe, was designed to look like her. Just 45kw Rotax, in my case.

4. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

ferk ya owe be a beer the flamin cd,s cost 5.10 send

5. billyc

billyc ASCboards Shaper,Glasser

thanks a ton for the input!
    even though i wanted to keep the design simple.
    The thought of a twin screw,CPP set up would be the tops!
    hopefully they come in quarter scale models from the ones ive found online.
    This in addition to the "quota cheater hybrid hull"
    been on here a week,yes it started out a bit rocky,but weve already collaberatively come up with something better than all the combined milion$ of the wakeworld to date.stoked,gracias

6. Poida

Poida Senior Member

BillyC

May I throw something in here, completely out of the square.

You have seen some negative response to your post, which of course is normal because every society has negative people.

However, if the society in your country is the same as ours you could spend a lot of money building your wave making boat to find that the authorities have received complaints, politicians favour looking after 10 complaints rather than 1 wave making boat - more votes-no more wake surfing.

In Australia we have water ski parks. These parks are on private property and are made from constructed lakes.

Could you do the same for wake surfing. Basically making an artificial wave in a lake. I know they have wave makers in some water parks but fairly tame waves.

I am thinking pulling a plow shaped object through a large trough like lake to produce a wave, even a tube. In ski parks they use a wire rope but I am thinking hydraulics as you already have water available anyway.

Construction would be high, but operating power is less, due to the fact that you are not dragging a boat, motor etc through the water.

If you designed that and got sponsors, you could make them available to paying customers all across America by franchising surfing parks.

Do some tank testing first.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread in an endevour to make you a multi millionaire.

Poida

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I still think a plow/plows as a retrofit is the market. They could even be designed to be retractable either manually or electric-like a trim tab. So you roar around a lake and find a nice quiet spot, lower it or them down, have your fun then raise them, and roar home. It avoids a large wake that is designed in a hull and is always with you. Just my thoughts. I bet you could achieve a perfect 5' wave.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You'd need a lot of structural reinforcement in a typical towboat hull to be able to handle the kinds of loads you'd get from a plow big enough to pull a 5' wave. But it shouldn't be terribly complicated or time consuming to actually do it, once you know the forces and the load paths. Probably not as expensive as a dedicated hull design, either. I think that's an idea with a lot of potential in this field, rasorinc.

9. Poida

Poida Senior Member

My original thought was to tow something behind a standard boat that would convert any speed boat to a wake boat, but then I didn't know how the hull of the towing boat and prop specs came to play. I assume that the hull and prop are designed for the specific purpose of the boat unless the boat is designed to tow something, then, may as well design a wake boat.

I'd still put my bet on the water park idea.

10. billyc

billyc ASCboards Shaper,Glasser

thanks poida,it was just their way of telling me billions have been spent on lessening wake.no prob,we are all smarter after reading their posts,thats all that matters to me.
    politics and boarding,good point..it seems like at least in the states,wakeboarding isnt going anyplace soon except to the olympics.
    hopefully wakesurfing next.
    my 5' wave would be the limit to my height expectations due inpart to liability issues above formentioned poidas post.
    wave park is cool,but thats a whole different thread.it will be called apex1 loan me a million bucks lol
    rasorinc,marshmat,i like the wedge ideas,but truely believe a hull design combined with wedges and tabs is whats in order.
    i say this because we are already creating a 4' wave with ancient designs that cost $90k us,whats that? like $300k canadian?!? hahaha

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.