waste of time and money?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by racing fan, Feb 12, 2011.

1. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I like the regular boat shape rather than the hydro shape plus it allows you to take out a friend. The Glen-L are proven out and their forum has members who have built these models. I have built several and working on one now. Glen-L plans are simple and complete.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Boats are a personal thing !!

Building a boat is never a waste of time !! Its the one thing in life that gives great pleasure not only the building but also the using after it built . its something you have made with you own hands , its a form of escape form the family and if you have kids they to can help and it will be a family project . I have been building Fibreglass boats for most of my working life and seeing that boat sitting in the water is a good feeling !, doesnt matter that its not mine its the fact that i helped to make a work of art !!

Glen L has been round since Noah let the animals out of the ark and he need something else to fill his time !!
    My personal choice of the Glen L line up was alway 'Missile" !!Was to big for what i wanted so i used the ideas and built a smaller version about 12 feet long when i was still at school in the late 1950s !!! :D

Do i like boats YES !!!size doesnt mater , be it a 147ft superyacht or a 8 foot rowing Dinghy as long as i am on the water its the feeling of freedom thats important !
    I get great personal pleasure from my old modified 14.6 foot runabout with a 115 yamaha that goes like stink !!!!!!

4. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i knew he was around for awhile (glen-l) but even taking a friend around is cool and all but i also got a old EBKO hydroplane 4 person that will take a 150hp motor i just need to restore it but that's costly so i am undecided $2000 no motor but mint condition sea worthy i really like hydro's but i do like the jet boat but 11 ft is too short could i beef up the frame and increase the size a bit he said not too but i know CAD and am good at it so that would not be a problum

5. en360

en360 Junior Member

buy one maybe save time and money more

6. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

these boats are not sold in stores or any thing i have watched many 48cu in hydroplane race and never one sold and the air marine special was only one ever confirmed to be made an the tnt and dyno are built by a family and rot and get junked by the same family who built them

7. racing fan

racing fan Senior Member

i know about the plans there and i happen to be a racer my self i race f-350,750-850,class d-mod., and use to race 1.5 l inboard but your are slightly wrong there the small outboard you are talking about dont run nitro and the run stock 7000rpm but if your talking about the mods we do use nitro but if we stop we stop we dont sink and not all are custom made many are produce in pairs and sets of like 5
    now the reason i want to build one of these is you don't run your race boat around the lake and add mi to your engine its a lose for you if you do that so i want to know what is the best use of time and money to have fun with i think the 48cu. in. inboard hydro

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.