Wanting to Modify a Mono Hull Yacht for Wheelchair Access

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by COOL Mobility, Sep 21, 2007.

1. COOL Mobility

COOL Mobility Sailor using wheelchair

Hi, I am an Aussie wheelchair using disabled sailor with quite a bit of national and international wins and placings but only in 3.6m Liberty (75kg keel) single person yachts and smaller.

I intend to modify a 28' to 32' yacht to have rear entry wheelchair access to cockpit and a lift to access cabin area. I need limited heel so need a heavy keel, reduced size rig and wide hull (over 3m beam). Will be installing hydraulic steering on starboard side of cabin back.

See Italian design at http://www.velaetica.it/filosofia.html

Any suggestions as to suitable old hull designs (to allow for my limited budget) that I can cut out and modify cockpit for access?

Have looked at an old 1981 IOR style (28' 3.3m beam) but worry is the ability of the hull to carry a decent keel weight safely. Open to suggestions.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.