Viking tumblehome sterns

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by human 1.0, Mar 24, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Yes Human 1.0 as my merchant Daddy used to say look after whats behind the decimal and the dollars will look after themselves :) ---Geo

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. human 1.0

human 1.0 Don't mess w/ Humanity

Not 1.00, 1.0, as in version 1.0, or like mini transat 6.5, if that helps.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

You missed the humor, man you've got to have humor otherwise you'll bust a gasket. Now lets try that again, comparing 1. to 1.0 is re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic (an effort in futility) as both are the same. It,s ok to post me as Viking, Viking North or Geo. I'm not really a Viking just a reference to my home which was the Nothern Most Viking settlement in north america (actually the only confirmed settlement). However being part German i do have pre-- Scandinavian blood and I do love to **** and pillage but only with concent of course and I have always been striving for more Daneguild.( to build a bigger boat) :) ---Humor- Humor we Newfoundlanders are famous for it, our good nature, ( in more ways than one, Mclains magazine has rated us as the sexiest men in Canada for the past 30yrs.) But don't msitake our good humor for a mental weakness as Menza has rated us as having the highest IQ per capita in the world. Stupid like a fox me boy, stupid like a fox. --- so 1./1.0 equals 1. but 1.0 it will be :)---Geo.

P.S. The .5 after the 6.5 makes it unequal to 6.0 in the 1. to 1.0 comparisons just pointing that out as you seem to like presision :) again the Humor i know you know the difference ?

5. human 1.0

human 1.0 Don't mess w/ Humanity

Funny.. I was just going to say that you!

6. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Did this thread start off because a reconstruction of a Viking Knarr had a stern post that re-curved at the top, giving slight tumble home to the shape?

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Human 1.0 -- pleased to meet you---Geo and thats a yes Battan by the very Human 1.0 afore mentioned, However there has been some drifting as normal but no rash posts,isn't that nice :) good thread i've learned a thing or two for sure ---Geo.

8. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

On the subject of vaguely nautical.... AND tumblehome. Thought this one would roll over and kill the lot of us for sure. Built on a leased barge that leaked 1000 gals/hr for weeks (Honda makes a good pump), had very limited stability, dragged moorings constantly, almost capsized one stormy night, many more horror stories when non-nautical persons (art department) attempt design projects on the ocean but are saved by heroes (marine department).

Attached Files:

9. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Oh sure, the ship still has to be strong and functional. I'm not arguing that. My point is that some things are not going to have any practical effect on strength or functionality, and such features are likely to be shaped according to personal aesthetic preference. People have always built boats and ships like this. A master shipwright would have had a pretty good idea of what he could get away with.

The amount of tumblehome in the knarr's stern is negligible and it is above deck level. It's not going to have any noticeable effect on the performance of the ship. So, it seems to me that it is missing the point to agonise about the possible functionality of the (nearly non-existent) tumblehome.

10. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Thank you thank you thank you.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

No disagreement here beauty with strength is no different than strength with beauty, we're saying the same thing in different wording. If it looks good and functions in strength and duty all the better. Your second paragraph answers Human 1.0's origional question.
    As an experienced boatbuilder if I have to sacrifice some beauty for added strength and function I do so and I would like to think that those old masters did the same. The high carbon rivets on the Titanic looked good but did not function well. The bulging sterns on some double enders look good but from my sailing experience do not function well and today I learned the whole story on that design tightrope. I still stand by my post #7, it doesn't mean other points of view are incorrect it's just a builder's hands on point of view, I visualize every frame, every steamed plank, every fastener to hold it all together and as a completed unit I torture myself even more with "it looks good" but will it stand the test of strength and function. --Geo.

12. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Stern section of brigantine GALILEE, built 1891, Benicia CA by Matthew Turner. Shows bottom of transom and rudder port. 132' x 32' x 12' and very fast in the Tahiti/San Francisco run. Beauty and function.

Attached Files:

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Exactly, did the job that it was designed to do, built strong as it was designed to be and was pleasing to the eye both in workmanship and the general accepted lines of a ship of it's day.
    Ok i'm signing off the thread, I'm wasting far too much time in pleasure,I've still got to complete the B&B plumbing replacement and the wife wants her indoor loo back -- the little moon door building is cold in march---Cheers Geo.

14. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

:D Hey this is funny. I should have checked the original before.

It turns out that after all this discussion, the "infamous tumblehome stern" on the knarr is an invention of modern day shipwrights. It is not actually present on the remains of the original ship. The guys who built the replica extrapolated from what was there and built what they thought was a logical ending to the ship.

This is a picture of the original. The very ends of the ship are missing.

[​IMG]

ETA: Oh and regarding cannons and tumblehome; although Guillermo and myself were telling everyone that moving cannon towards the centreline would not alter stability, we didn't take the time to explain why it wouldn't. If anyone does want an explanation I'm happy to provide it. They were my claims so I have a responsibility to provide evidence for them.

15. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Yes, please explain.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.