Valves on steel hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cgoodwin, Mar 23, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Quite the refit, now outlive your life and make her pay back in pleasure I'm on my last build (I hope) not a big boat but she will be capable, A 27ft. surfboat/lifeboat to motorsailer conversion. Comfortable and economical enough for my age and limited income. Been in the boat racket on and off for some 35yrs., time to slow down. Again beautiful vessel---Geo.

2. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Junior Member

What is the power on you vessel?

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I am installing a 3cyl. Yanmar inboard diesel around 28hp. If you scroll down to the Boatbuilding heading to thread Building the Nancy G --- it's my build in progress. A few more of my builds are listed under another thread Reverse Engieering-----( under heading Boat Design) where I battled out the debate on the feasibility of lifeboat to motorsailer conversions. My baptism of fire so to say :)---Geo.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner.

4. cgoodwin

cgoodwin Junior Member

Good, you like an argument! Have you thought about a Vegetable oil system for fuel?

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The fuel consumption on this little vessel will be so low( maybe 30gal. a season) that any changes to use alternate fuels wouldn't be worth the time or money to do so. She'll be more of a sailer than the typical motrosailer and as such I will use very little fuel. I certainly would entertain the idea if i had a bigger engine or made less use of sail power.When you replaced the bad spots in your hull and deck did you use Corten. An old friend (he's now 95) of mine replace the bottom on his steel hulled cabin cruiser in Toms River N.J. some 20yrs. ago, man it was a big job so i can visualize your refit. Hard to know where to stop replacing. She certainly is a classic looking vessel they don't build them with that style anymore. Keep up your spirits--geo.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I had a steel boat 60 foot. I welded a pipe to the hull and had the pipe come high enough to just reach the water level. On smaller boats you can do that.

I could then if I wanted to remove the valve and check it or play with it at any time with just a slight occasional slosh coming into the boat.

Threaded or plate with gasket is optional. Plate with gasket is better.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.