value of a bare hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by eyschulman, Oct 13, 2011.

1. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

A question to some of the experts and experienced who deal with this site. What percent of a build projects total value is a bare hull? Is it different for motor and sail boats?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

That's got to vary enormously over different boat types - but if it was more than 1/3rd of the total build price, I would be surprised.

3. bertho

bertho bertho

I remember rought break down for production sailing boat (beneteau)
    18% hull deck, 32 % fit-out accomodation,20% rigging/engine, 30% study/fee/commercial
    so ..when you get the hull /deck.. 20 to 25% of final cost for a small sailing boat..
    rgds
    bertho

4. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

If the boat were to be( power type) light semi displacement stich and glue with epoxy and high quality mirante plywood?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A bare hull from an unknown source and/or quality (buying an unfinished project) is of dubious value, regardless of what the seller/builder may say about the build, without exceptional documentation. A bare hull from a professional or well known amateur builder is different, as this is a known quantity/quality and can have a reasonable value placed on it. The same is true of a manufactured hull.

As to the actual value, as has been stated, each project, the build type, the design being built, the builder, etc., all have bearing on the percentage of total project cost. As a rule less then 25%, usually much less is common.

A small powerboat hull, without it's bulkheads, internal seating, decks, hardware, other equipment and engine is nearly worthless, unless you happen to have or plan to get exactly these things in the coming months. An $8,000 outboard, $1,000 in steering and engine controls, another grand in tankage, batteries and other necessary equipment, such as lights, horn, gauges, etc. can easily make the hull shell 10% the value of the total project.

It would be more helpful if you were more specific (much more then previously stated) about what you're trying to do.

6. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

my 2 cents

a bare hull has little value

I have seen way too many "home builts" by amateurs that are junk.
    The problem is that they always start of with this big dream boat, and after some time they realise it's hard work and will take LOTS of money to finish.

The home builders (that I have seen) that started small and is on his 4th or 5th build has learned the hard way not to cut corners, never work with cheap materials and work VERY carefully. These boats are seldom for sale and are of exceptionally high qaulity, but as I said, you wont find them half finished and abandoned.

The first clue that I pick up very easily is that he "saved" on peelply, because you know peelply is expensive.
    Kiss him goodbye, because he will never learn.
    Peelply is a gift from the gods.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A bare hull has very little value. So little value that locally when a motorboat sinks at the dock and its system are ruined, they haul the boat out, then chop it to peices with a chain saw and dispose.

These are boats that have a resale value of half a million when in turn key operation. When negotiting for a bare hull , offer little, you may even be able to charge the owner money to remove the hull for the shipyard.

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

The cost of the bare one-off hull (primed and coated) will roughly be between 15% and 20% of the total cost of the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.