Unsinkable Yacht Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Herry, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Herry

Herry New Member

I was interested to a Project, it called " Unsinkable Yacht Project ". Because of I never learned yacht design before so
    I would like to know anyone opinion about this project.

Actually I already have the idea, The Yacht haven't sank even
    the hull have split in accident. Maybe it hard to believe but
    I was confident it would possible.

To make it come true I need help and support from some
    experts in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering to help
    me to do some research and build the yacht.

Unfortunately it impossible for me to funding the research.
    If the the research succesed I willing to sharing patent right.

2. Gades

Gades Senior Member

Hi Herry,

there are quite a few unsinkable yachts. For example, in Spain they build many day sailors (usually 20-24 feet) that are unsinkable. You can find larger yachts, like the Distancia 60 (as you may guess, it's a 60 footer, that's about 18 meters), which are unsinkable as well.

All you have to do, is to inject some low density foam into the hull structure. So that even if the yacth is completelly full of water, the light weight of the foam will be enough to compensate the weight of the water inboard. This is just s simple explanation, if you need some more, please let me know.

3. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

... I worked for 2 years on a 35m power yacht that was Divinicel (spelling??) cored construction. She was calculated to be unsinkable. Fortunately we never had to find out. :)

Paul

4. Robert S

Robert S New Member

You might look at the norwegian Navy's SES boats. They are supposed to be unsinkable even if both hulls should be destroyed. Basically there should be enough boyancy in the sandwich construction.

Attached Files:

5. zcg0085

zcg0085 Junior Member

building an unsinkable boat is like naming her 'titantic'. if water gets in and the gross weight exceeds the bouyancy...she will will sink. remember things like engines ,bolts and nuts, people and canned food (and the like) all sink, and are all commmonly found on boats . all the core that one could add to the hull wouldnt be enough to float the glass and resin used to encapsulate her much less all the items on board (an average boat) with a density greater than water. boats float because of their 3d shape. Yokebutt could be correct for a sailboat with nothing but a deck and mast.

6. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Herry,

Robert is quite right, a couple of good friends of mine designed an open 50 a few years ago where they increased the core thickness to provide enough bouyancy to float the boat completely water-logged. makes for a exceptionally strong hull too.

Yoke.

7. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Gents,

I have something in mind for a long time, a little like Polarities I guess. I see some great advantages in milling a hull/ship from foam material. It can be something like PSfoam. It can be milled right from the CAD files.

By using some plywood or laminated cross sections and reinforced hullstructure like foamcore builing, you can build a very strong and lightweight construction.

Advantage is you take away material to create storage and cable guidance. Disadvantage is you lose storage space.
    The bottom line is an ultra light and stiff foamcore construction.

Just an idea that can help you a bit further?
    Regards,

Sander

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Go purchase any US Navy Utility Launch.

40 or 50 ft and unsinkable due to a foam filled colar all round the boat.

Eats a bunch of space as its about 2 ft wide and 3 ft deep .

For the price you also get fire retardant resin , probably a more usefull feature on any cruising boat .

FR resin is not usually used on yachts as it coats 2c a pound more than std.cheap high flaming resin.

FAST FRED

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Not exactly a yacht - but I believe she was claimed to be 'unsinkable'...:(

Attached Files:

10. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Thanks for bringing everyone back to the real bussiness world, Fred. They will kill you for 2 cents a pound. Feel better about quality yachts now?

11. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

There was a line of boats made with FR resin a couple or three decades ago, absolute bloody nightmare, they blistered to the point of severely compromising the strength of the hull.

Yoke.

12. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Hey, how about a Snark? You can break it up in a thousand pieces, and it still won't sink.

Yoke.

13. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

airex is stronger than fiberglass and it floats i fished in the gulf of mexico for 10 years on a 31 ft jc boat she had a6000lb ice box in the center and twin volvos with duoprops and13 airtite compartments andself bailing engine rm

14. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hey Bergalia nice to see you finally got to use that picture of your second ship :rolleyes: (Noah was skipper on the first one, I believe!):D

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

hey ,didnt mean to mislead you , our hulls were airex sandwich construction .one of our boats was swamped but did not sink , also with 13 airtight compartments blown with foam helped,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.