Unsinkable boats realy?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom kane, Oct 12, 2014.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

unsinkable boats realy

Auckland New Zealand starts of the new boating season with life jacket Regulations that say everyone on a boat under way under 6 Meters must wear life jackets..unles the skipper says you do not need to. Regulations are different in different areas and are difficult to clarify and probably every enforcement officer will have a different interpretation.
    Jump into you tender to go ten feet without your jacket on you maybe breaking the Law. New Zealand has already exceeded last year drownings and the season has just started. Boaties are already being hasseled and asked if they understand the Regulations.

I have been looking at polyethylene boats and I like what appears to be a good material for boats and to me is a comfortable material to be in contact with and not hard like Aluminum or glass. It has been around a long time in different formulars used for plumbing drainage and water storage tanks and I used flotation tanks myself and they seem indructable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. myark

myark Senior Member

The good old days when you could safely fish in harbour or from the shore lines, but now you need to go miles out to sea to catch a fish if any because of the trawlers in harbours and now the open seas , the good old days when a man hands shake was his word but now means nothing.
    Back in the old days you never had jet skis doing 60 mph, boats with twin 300 hp outboards,
    As far as the boat accidents compared to smoking which is the single most preventable cause of death - with 400,000 Americans dying every year from their own cigarette smoking, and an additional 26,000 - 73,000 nonsmokers dying each year from exposure to secondhand smoke. Smoking kills more people than alcohol, AIDS, car and boat accidents, illegal drugs, murders, and suicides COMBINED!
    Of the roughly 416,000 kids who become daily smokers each year, almost a third will ultimately die from it. Smokers lose, on average, 13 to 14 years of life because of smoking.

“400,000 Americans dying every year from their own cigarette smoking, and an additional 26,000 - 73,000 nonsmokers dying each year from exposure to secondhand smoke”
    The U.S. Coast Guard has released its 2012 Recreational Boating Statistics, revealing that boating fatalities that year totalled 651,

3. myark

myark Senior Member

Unsinkable and save: HDPE floats combine with the fact that many dual hull Poly boat are foam filled giving it positive buoyancy even when loaded to capacity. All these boats will even stay on float when they are cut in two parts. A poly boat is the only boat you will never find on the bottom of the sea!!

High buoyancy: HDPE has natural buoyancy and will float unaided when placed in water. The unique dual wall hull construction traps air in the cavities between the walls and helps contribute to buoyancy.

Lightweight: HDPE is amazingly light, in fact lighter than water enhancing its buoyancy as a boat material.

High puncture resistance: PE is a bullet proof material. Used in bullet proof vests, armoured vihicles, ballistic helmeds and ballistic shields. Do I have to say more?

Attached Files:

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Unsinkable boats realy

I suppose a flotation ring on a classic boat would work OK.

Attached Files:

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

"In every age 'the good old days' were a myth. No one ever thought they were good at the time. For every age has consisted of crises that seemed intolerable to the people who lived through them." Brooks Atkinson

And I won't say any more about that.

Frankly I very seldom get into a political discussion with anyone. (Except my wife) I spent 20 years working in Washington DC, and I don't have a very high regard for politicians, even the ones I like. They are almost all of them in someone's pockets, on both sides of the aisle and will sell you down the road if they can get a better deal. There are a few who have some integrity but not much. People call prostitution the world's oldest profession but politics is a very close second and may be out front. I have seen them do things that any reasonable person would scratch their head and say, Say what?, and then the next day say and do the opposite and swear they never did the other. So as you can see I am pretty cynical about that.

But when it comes to boating safety I am a firm advocate of anything that makes it safer. You simply can't park the boat and walk home. (Well, one guy did but he had an advantage. His Dad was God) I have been in and around boats all my life, and no I am not as old as the dinosaurs but I have been called an old dinosaur by some. But mostly my Kids called me an old crab. I spent three years doing boating accident investigations when I was junior officer and anyone who does that can make a very convincing argument that some people have to be protected from themselves. I am sure all of you have met or encountered people like that. Of course there are somethings that go a bit too far (prop guards?) but may have a place where they are needed but not in all circumstances or on all boats, or with all people. That's why public input is important. Unfortunately sometimes our politicians just don't listen. or ignore us.

So anyway, my rant for the day. I hope no one took offense at my previous diatribe. It was meant to be tongue in cheek. I had a heck of a lot of fun in those leaky old drafty boats and my dad taught me a lot about boat building. (some one had to fix them) And my mother insisted that I wear my moldy old lifejacket, that if I tossed it overboard probably would have sunk. But it made her happy.

6. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I agree with most of what you said Ike, ive been a boatbuilder for over 40 years and never cease to be amazed at the incompetence out there in the boating public, most boatowners are just fine but the ones that are not are the ones that cause the powers that be to force regulations on the rest. That said, i prefer to make my own choices when it comes to safety because a lot of regulations don't make sense or are inadequate so i wherever possible i make my boats unsinkable because ive yet to see a boat with enough bilge pump capacity to keep up with a leak of any size or enough battery to keep up if they did, i know i don't have enough amps on any of my boats for an adequate pump, the bigger the pump the more amps they gobble up, a lot of boats out of necessity have longer hose runs than you would like and then they go and use corrugated hose so while your pump may be rated at 2000gph or whatever it is not pumping that but is still consuming amps like it is and then of course if the water gets to the batteries its game over. No thanks, id rather spend my resources on making my boats unsinkable. That said i have 2 keelboats where it would not be practical so i have to gamble with them like everyone else. I would howev

Steve.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.