Unsinkable boats realy?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tom kane, Oct 12, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Judging by some of these posts I am starting to think some people here don't have much boating experience apart from sailing their keyboard. All the scenarios above sound like the perfect storm or deadliest catch. Life jackets do save lives. Most boating mishaps are near the coast or in lakes and rivers. If your boat is unsinkable .you are wearing a life jacket and have an epirb you are pretty safe .

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Actually the cans are wrapped in fiberglass. So the fiberglass provides the strength and the can just created air pockets.

3. whitepointer23

Thats the smell. Not the fear of getting caught.:)

1 person likes this.
  4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yeah you got me there :D I'll have to think of a comeback...

There was a joke doing the rounds some time ago about that semi-hysterical eh eh eh philamon Desmund Tu-Tu showing some foreigners around when they happen to look over a cliff where Van and a buddy were lifting an Ausie out of the sea.

Proudly eh eh eh Tu-Tu announced how we save laves bla bla bla the usual meaningless blubber.

Meanwhile below Van said to his buddy, nothing took this Ausie, think we should trawl another round with him ? :D

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

There are by far too many situations, scenario's, types of boats and different activities that it is impossible to cover everything and compensate for them all so it becomes impossible for things to go wrong. Perhaps that is why we like boats :D

There is risk in everything. The big hoo-ha about all this safety gear and survey's and... crap... is ridiculous simply because you are a lot safer on the sea in a sinkable boat without a life jacket than it is anywhere on land. I asked one "safety" guy if they want you to be safe on the water so you get killed on land instead. Yes he was but I couldn't care less. As I said before, your safety has nothing to do with it. It's about controlling others and making money out of them. Nothing else.

What these rules and regulations really mean is -
    You are irresponsible, you are stupid enough to do the wrong thing, you have no judgement, you have criminal intent and are unfit to do anything without supervision. The only thing you are fit to do is pay.
    WE, the self elected illuminated ones have all those things therefore we will supervise to see you do as we want you to do - after you have paid us. If you cannot pay, then you have no rights, you are unfit as a human and you must stay out of the way or we will have you removed.

6. whitepointer23

:Good one. I'll use that one myself. Obviously they were trolling at the wrong speed. :D

7. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Or they didn't get rid of the smell :D

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Fanie has got it right. Actually I am not looking for anything from this thread I just thought it would be an interesting discussion. Unsinkable boat promotion WOW. ?. I like Stabi craft.
    Man have the experts in New Zealand got us Kiwi on a leash the things they are trying to convince us to spend money on to make the economy grow,but they have got the basics wrong for starters and every advertising spiel shows an idiot pulling faces and waving their hands around to convince us about something. Promoted by taxpayer money. It seems a World wide act.
    Please do not mention home insulation benefits. Or power saving light bulbs!!!.
    I think I will have to turn my spell check on I leave it of to try to retain some of my skills.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If you want the economy to grow, then you make people free to do more and more innovative things and you encourage people to do more.

If every one in a country lives on a high standard of living then the parasites get more.

If you bleed a country to death and every one becomes dirt poor then there is not much more you can squeeze out of them. Unless there is another reason (like minerals) you want to get rid of those who's country it is, then of course you destroy everything.

10. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I do heartily agree...the same in cold coastal waters with no beaches but plenty of rocks plus a good wind pushing you to the rocks ready to crush you. Add the tide currents, and the height of the waves.
    Better to stay even wet to the bones in a usable boat with radio, lights, radar reflector and all the "toutim". At the Raz de Sein there is more than 300 known wrecks, and a good part of the cemetery is used by the tombs of the drowned people...Some parts of the Cornwall and Scotland coast are as amenable.

11. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Opinion shared...I love the delicate use of the word emetophilia...Maybe they can take a teaspoon of ipeca syrup to improve the emetophilic sensation.

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Make it compulsory that all boats must have sails then.
    Then the good wind can get you out of there.

(It never stops, there is always something more).

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

14. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Yes, I thought it was meant to stimulate creativity and fun also, so thanks everyone for the many interesting comments. Seat belts might help or not, in the rare case when tumbling in 30' waves, with the rare case of having an unsinkable boat, that doesn't encounter a rare shoreline crash ;-)

PC

15. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

In my pleasure boat (a Classic ply hull) I carried life jackets,survival jackets,oars, the makings for a sail that could sail the boat well in most directions I wanted to go.
    An inboard motor with a Safe Remote Fuel System and no fuel under the floors and outboard spare motor.
    Flotation for all weight on board under the floor and under the bunks. A tank of fresh water for at least three days, and a chilly bin for food and two hot water bottles.
    Boyant sleeping bags and two matresses and blankets plus other gear like anchors and warps.
    There were othe items like cameras, radio, basic medical kit and probably lots of other items. My boating was a pleasure and not out to make records or impress with dangerous extreme adventures so perhaps I could write a scary book about an ordeal which most of the best selling books are.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.