Unique or Vessel Specific Solutions _Engine Room Heat Exchanger

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ChrisN67, Jun 25, 2016.

1. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I rigged Co2 lines right into my inlet boxes just for that, the lines themselves travel a long distance so no chance of freezing. Also have cables running to bridge that I pull to close flaps on intakes. Yes. I have DDs. Never had a runaway, but do have problem making them stop after I shut off diesel. Also try moving batteries and electronics out of engine room.

On engine heat, engines get hot, exhaust get hotter. I made some wraps with insulating special cloth thing, design for exhausts, I think they call it header wrap and then painted them with 100% silicone. It keeps the heat in the exhaust enough that the water cools then pretty well. If I had turbos, I would rig up more cooling for their oil or water. Turbos will die if their bearings get too hot. That oil needs to be specially cool.

2. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Is it worth changing the engine air intake to outside of the engine room?

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Yep -This will help engine performance

-This will help engine performance, cooler air to engine

4. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Yes and maybe allow the heat exchanger to work by not having so much air turnover. But then again it may not be big enough to keep the heat from full engine power down. If that's the case the high air turnover from engine aspiration may work better.

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

It would help to know know more about the boat, and some outside pics.

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I think the air turnover was positive - keeps temps in reasonable range (despite the warm air). But wen engines are off the blower cannot move enough volume to cool with such warm air.

7. ChrisN67

ChrisN67 Senior Member

The best way I found by experience is to block the intake.

8. keith_2500hd

keith_2500hd Junior Member

if you install shut-off valve on intake, any engine with turbo or supercharger will fail oil seals. so after run-away, check intake prior to restart or you'll go back into a bigger run-away. using outside air is good for performance, the problem is a marine engine lacks air circulation, the incoming air picks up heat from around the engine and transfers out thru engine. some of the boats I ran had deck intakes feeding down thru false wall to bring incoming air into bilge(aluminum hull) to reduce temp and then circulate around engine then finally thru intake, seemed to make engines more bearable. question; does outside air intake have filtration for sand intrusion, that would be my concern for direct outside air inlet.

9. ChrisN67

ChrisN67 Senior Member

Hi, I am using Walker Air Seps as well as large 5' x 5" long induction grates on each hull side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.