U.S.S. Independence

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boatindad, May 8, 2014.

1. boatindad

boatindad Junior Member

{Well an image should be here but its not}

I search around and could find no discussion about this very interesting boat. I wondered about everyone's opinion about it and if it could be down scale-able. A smaller version might make an efficient cruiser. All thoughts welcome.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. boatindad

boatindad Junior Member

Thank you the search here is shoddy

Well i checked and there is not much there any chance of some disscusion about down scaling for a cruiser.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What size do you have in mind ?

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Define...efficient
    Define...cruiser

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I give up, a "cruiser" is a police car ?

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

What's sad is this is something that they have plenty of experience avoiding, it probably shouldn't have happened at all.

10. boatindad

boatindad Junior Member

The size I'm toying with in my head is between 1/5 and 1/10 of the original 418ft .
    By efficient I mean in the relative sense, as in less fuel burned per mile traveled in a "cruiser" comparably equipt.
    I'm not sure how to define cruiser I thought it was a common way of describing a boat people travel and sleep in.
    I agree that someone should have thought about the galvanic reaction. I know of it from installing hot water heaters you must have a dielectric union between your copper pipes and the steel tank or you might as well buy two.

11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

If you are looking for a boat for lake/river/ICW service at moderate cruising speeds: I've been tinkering around with this kind of concept in the size range in question. My observations are those of someone from a family with weak knees (and a handicapped sister) so I've a logical desire, even in my daydreams, to avoid unnecessary steps or high furniture that you may not share.

Based on some of the things said / pictures given about beam to draft ratio in this paper: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/7671/ on wave resistance for trimarans (and placement of amas for wake reduction) it seems that one might be able to substitute a somewhat beamier shallow draft main hull for a truly narrow but deeper draft main hull of similar displacement (think something like a Bolger state cruiser with stabilizing amas rather than some thing like Johnny Wasabi: http://www.yachtsforsale.com/yacths_listing/451.html ). This could, if that line of reasoning holds out, enable simpler/cheaper construction being my hope.

PS: I can't remember exactly where I downloaded the paper, if the above link isn't where it can be downloaded from, but it is freely available somewhere if not there, sorry.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.