Two Seater

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 87jct90, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 87jct90

87jct90 New Member

I am new to this site and also to building boats. All I have to start with is a 1968 Merc 65hp outboard, and I do not know where to start. I have been looking up plans to build a boat online and do not have a clue what would be a nice build. Basically I am just looking for a two seater boat that is cheap and easy to build, being that its my first. Looking for a direction to go into and any help would be great. Along with the motor I have an old tach and steering wheel and I was thinking about keeping it retro, but I may not. Also I am a bigger build, 6'2" and 140lbs, if that changes anything.

2. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

welcome on board

You are asking a very broad question but - hey you have to start from somewhere.

If money saving is your goal buying used boat will beat own build 20:1
    epoxy is not cheap - neither is marine plywood an crappy materials are not worth spending the time.

You should give us a little more parameters on what kind of boat you are looking to get. I would assume a small planing boat in the range of 14"-15" feet might work on 65 hp.

I cannot give you tips on any particular plans other than that buying proper plans is money well spent.

good book for getting an idea of the likely methods is gougeon brother on boat building - or something like that

3. 87jct90

87jct90 New Member

I really would of thought building your own boat would be cheapier. I was thinking more along the lines of a 12' boat, with the 65hp would I need at least a 14'. I found a website with several design ideas. The website is http://absolutelyfreeplans.com/Boat Plans/boat_plans.htm
    I was looking at making something between a sports hydro and a spitfire. I do not like the design for the sports hydro, I like the design of the spitfire, but I like that the seating arrangment in the sports hydro being that it is a two seater and you sit side by side. Does anyone have an idea of a design like this? Also if I were to build something like that, how much would it cost aproximately? Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate, if I am going to build the boat, I just wana make sure that it is really what I want, and fits my needs.