twin nkeel sailboats and rudder design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ecoearthyacht, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ecoearthyacht

ecoearthyacht New Member

I have a tylercraft 26 sailboat with 30 draft twin keels and small aft rudder. The boat is 26 ft, by 8 ft beam, and is on a trailer. THe boat spins 180 degrees when on a broad reach with a following sea. Otherwise the boat points and performs well on other points of sail. I believe the small rudder, with rounded lower fore leading edge and aft trailing edge somehow is the problem. What rudder size and shape and possible skeg in front of rudder would cure this tacking problem? I can send photos to someone who knows the design issues to advise me . Thanks for the help TIm at ecoearthyacht@yahoo.com

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You could get an engineer to calculate the suitable areas for a reasonable fee.

I am using a very competant one who is active on these forums to design a 28ft, twin board trailer sailer, and he was able to advise me on the correct sizes of rudders and keels, and more importantly, work out if the boat was unbalanced in sail plan, centre of effort etc.

I will put you in touch if you think that is the way to go.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The rudder is probably ventilating. A common solution is to have a rudder that can be lowered.

4. ecoearthyacht

ecoearthyacht New Member

to rwatson twin keel rudder issue

Please contact me if you would re the rudder design issues on the twin keel tylercraft 26. I am at ecoearthyacht@yahoo.com Thanks I would llike to hear about your boat design and project. TIm

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.