Twin keel research

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by MikeJohns, Oct 16, 2004.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Sandar
    The outer keels reduce roll damping significantly and give support when drying out albeit on an angle. The penalty is a significant increase in drag. Nothing whatsoever to do with enhancing sailing ability I'm afraid.

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Will
    I really think that It is down to tank testing with models that you can easily shift the keels.

If you are really interested I still have the intention of building a test rig as a smooth water replacement for tank testing. Too busy to follow this up lately, perhaps later this year.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Ok - thanks all...
    Mike - for the purposes of this exercise, tank testing is beyond my needs - it's 'only' for a lesson submission...

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Some 20 odd years ago a few bilge-keel sailing yachts were build in Spaarndam, specifically as passagemakers.

Even a Dutch kitchenmanufacturer sponsored a twin-keel competition yacht, I forgot the name, so stupidly slow those boats aren't.

If speed is not your target, there won't be any other obstruction to do as you please. As Mike remarks, seagoing movement will be much easier and more pleasant than with a single keel yacht.

5. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

Thanks Mike,
    My girlfriend wil be pleased to hear that, as I have to make an offer in performance to keep her from turning pale ;-)

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

About twin keels and performance... how about that:

"With the assistance of Munich Technical University, the Seebruck Regatta Association and numerous sponsors, designer Helmuth Stöberl (Hall/Stand 17/ C 55) has developed the Quintas, a regatta yacht with adjustable twin bilge keels and a rotating wing mast. It is claimed that, with this new design, the 11.98-metre-long boat will be able to sail twice as close to the wind compared with similar-sized regatta yachts. "

http://www14.boot.de/cipp/md_boot/custom/pub/content,lang,2/oid,15298/ticket,g_u_e_s_t
    http://www.yacht.de/yo/yo_news/pspic/bildgross//77/t_vision43a91fdfe2cae.jpg
    http://www.stoeberl-sailing.de/mainsites/quintas_klein.htm
    http://www.stoeberl.de/index.htm

Strange boat...what do you think of it?

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I have seen this type of keel before - it is a variant of a design developed by Van Oossaanen some ten years ago.

It would be interesting to see what the real advantages are, not so much is the paper-story.

For practical reasons - e.g. a reduction of draft - such a design is always welcome. Question is are the sailing capacities better that with a single deep keel? And did they try and make a comparison?

8. mallo

mallo Junior Member

Bluebird of Thorne

Hi all
    We have owned the original Lord Riverdale Bluebird of Thorne (1939) since 1970, she is a very sea kindly boat, added advantage of taking the ground (we have a tidal range of 40 ft on a spring tide, it turns a few heads when we go and dry out on a sand bank or a drying harbour amongst a load of small boats we are 48ft OA). We wouldn’t change the boat as she handles well (needed a bowthruster, it has been fitted about 10 years ago.) Please find a photo of her included, if anyone one wants to contact me try Michael@raffray.co.uk the twin keel design is definitely an interesting subject.
    Best wishes to all
    Michael Allo

Attached Files:

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Mike Allo
    Welcome and thanks for your post.

Tom Speer

Tom I'm a bit tardy to visit this but I finally read it.

I would note that the experiment is largely to support a numerical model for rotational oscillation . Given a fairly poor error result the tests supported trend correlation but not magnitude they were also conducted on only one hullform/keel combination and that was a single keel .

All other conclusions are from running the numerical model only.

Also note that the twin keel numerical model is for twin keels equal in total area to a single fin. No variations in aspect ratio/area were run through the model for twin keels. No full size tests on a twin keel vessel to see whether the numerical model is valid for this combination.

I suppose to sum it up they prove a trend correlation (but not magnitude) for a single design of cruiser-racer between actual and theoretical, then they extrapolate for twin keels without any verification that the model is valid for such a change.

I wouldn't hinge any design or conclusion on that numerical model without considerably more correlation testing.

10. jedclampit

jedclampit Junior Asparagus

http://www.geocities.com/nelstomlinson/boats/Aleutka.html

Here is a link for a twin keel that I found. A good read only from a twin owner.

I too am interested in twins for all the reasons that are discussed about in the link, but I'm looking to design a 30-33 foot narrow beam (10') 12,000 lbs cruising sailboat that I can keep on a trailer... and I believe that the twin concept will sit on a float on trailer with the keels on the outside of the wheels of the trailer...

Still a work in progress...

Attached Files:

11. yipster

yipster designer

retractable twin keels for a motorsailor?
    anybody ever hear or seen anything that way?

12. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Hello!
    I even know one that have three keels, I bet you know that one too.:p :p :p

13. globaldude

globaldude court jester

Re; pale girl's performance offer !!

Just remember Sander rave, it's not the size that counts, but positioning is crutial for best preformance. Good "sailing" and good luck .

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Yipster,:confused: what are you talking about?

15. yipster

yipster designer

here the fastest 3 keels in the world but maybe i should have said foils :p

what i study is how to beach retractable twin keels, shapes, drag, too-in, hydrolics and stuff like that, i must be crazy :cool:

Attached Files:

• 800.jpg
      800.jpg
      File size:
      194.4 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.