Tuning a monohul semi displacement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, May 30, 2009.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hi folks and thanks for all the help so far
    Most of you know what Im up to and your help with the electric system drive system and various other elements of my project has been invaluable ( with a special thanks to both Par and Rick for there straight forward approach in offering various tidbits of info and advice )

Im attempting to optimize a hull form for open water cruising in the north Atlantic area

the original hull form of the look I liked best is not suited to open water cruising and so Im thinking that a move towards a semi displacement hull would be a reasonable start to get me the speed and efficiency Im after

60' wood hull
    13.5 beam
    ~4 draft
    42000 lb displacement
    10-12 knots cruise
    ~15+ knots top speed on 250 hp
    speed considerations need to be reasonable for the average sea state and wind condition

I had considered the down east hull form since its one Im familiar with but at this size its seems a bit wrong somehow

I need a place to start from and the basic semidisplacement seems to be it

chines
    soft or hard
    what are the various performance characteristics of each at varying speeds is my first question

my next would be is there a significant penalty for adding bilge keels and reducing the keel accordingly

and thirdly entrance angle
    14 degrees is what I always thought but I learned that a long time ago and things change

Im not really trying to draw a set of lines but just understand the design principles I should be looking for in an efficient hull design

maybe develop a list of parameters to bring to an NA when the time comes

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.