Triangular experimental hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jamesblack, May 17, 2014.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

3. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Both the Cadet and Mirror are Jack Holt designs, one approx twenty years after the other. Weight is somewhere around 54Kg for the hulls, and actually along with the Oppie, they are reasonably good boats, with few vices.

Personally I always found the Cadet underpowered with full rig, but then I did weigh about 68Kg myself, at 17. When it got interesting, they cancelled the racing..... The Mirror is faster and a bit better in a chop, still a remarkable all rounder and a lot of the kits were made from excellent quality plywood.

I think you will struggle to get good performance from a Cadet main, partly too small, partly it is cut to work with a jib. You could try a hull with no rocker, but having seen one hull like that, I would not advise it!. I would think the RS Tera is not a bad guide to what can be done in that sort of size range, and a wooden approximation is possible. It actually took several design iterations to get the Tera shape right as it is quite tricky with these small hulls. Note that that is even for a proper Naval Architect ;)

Now putting a Nat 12 mast and main on a home made 'land yacht' and belting across the playing fields. That was quite good fun....

4. JRD

JRD Senior Member

James it all depends a bit on your age and height as well as your weight. Depending on where you are, have you considered a Sabre? They can be home built or you can probably get an older one and do it up. It will be quicker than your Mirror and Cadet and will provide some challenges to learn.
    If you must experiment, what about getting an older Flying Ant and modify it to take a single sail. The mast step would need to go forward or the dagger board back - or a bit of both. The hull design is pointy at the front (an improvement to the bluff bow on the Cadet)

In New Zealand we have the Starling which was designed in the late 60s, but would still be NZs most popular class after Opties. This has good racing up to 15 years old and they will definitely plane in a breeze.

Good luck

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

How about we just skip the intermediate ones, and go straight for the boob?

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Squidly and Tom, I still have the ancient How to build 20 boats magazine with plans for the "Thing". I have never been tempted to build one however.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Looks like The Thing needs some serious torturing of the plywood towards stern.

I wonder if superhigh quality plywood was cheaper back then, due to more trees.

8. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I suspect that is your standard mode of operation for most things.

Go ahead and start the thread. Dibs on Betty White -long low and wide -a good surfboard shape.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.