transom bracket for outboard engine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rasorinc, Aug 8, 2013.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I'm designing a simple transom bracket to mount a 9.9 hp hi thrust Yamaha
    outboard. This is a kicker engine for emergencys and fishing. Using 304 stainless steel 3/16" x 6" bend a 12" square and weld the connection and line the outsides with 1" x 6" hardwood bolted through the steel flat bar. This will mount to the transom which is 1.5" of plywood plus a 1" x 6" full side to side piece of hardwood with 4 sets of 2 bolts
    3/8" galvanized. All comments welcome. Transom tilts out 14* This will allow the engine to tilt up fully within the bracket.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

If I interpret your description correctly, you will be clamping the motor such that the clamp buttons impinge upon a 3/16 stainless plate. If that is the case, then beware. The stainless plate is slick and may not hold the button sufficiently to avoid losing the whole outboard. This has been an ocassional problem particularly when the boat is turned sharply while considerable power is applied.

Installing a rigid stopper strip just above the clamp buttons takes care of the the possible unplanned result.

1 person likes this.
  3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

messabout, thanks for the heads up on that. I will have a safety cable attached but maybe I should line both sides of the outer plate with wood.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.