Transducers: Transom mount VS In Hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gerard baladi, Apr 9, 2005.

1. gerard baladi

gerard baladi Junior Member

Due to a stupid accident, I lost my transom mount transducer. :mad:
    I wonder if an in hull transducer would be as efficient as the transom mount?
    In hull mounts have the advantage of being protected and free of foul.
    and in case of transom mount is it advisable to paint them with antifouling?

2. nevd

nevd Junior Member

Transducer positions

Airmar are the largest transducer manufacturers and they have a very informative site at airmar.com. You should be able to get most of your questions answered there.

Hope this is of assistance.

nevd

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

In my experience, both can work well. Poorly installed, both can equally work poorly.
    In addition to less fouling problems (though I've never suffered them) thru hulls also have the advantage of being less prone to running in disturbed water. I once ran a transom mount t/ducer set into a glob of grease in the bilge. It happily shot thru the hull for two years. When I finally mounted it on the transom in order to take advantage of the temperature sensor, the signal was only marginally better - and was in fact markedly worse once the boat was on the plane...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.