tow tank/ hydrodynamic testing methiods

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nwahs, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Optimal for what?...think carefully before you answer!

2. nwahs

nwahs Junior Member

post # 3 describes some perimiters of what im trying to design, paddelcraft bla bla bla.

i can also mention, pure flat water at the local lake only no heavy sea's here, no cargo space or pay load beside me and a paddel.
    im not concered if i get wet all the time and tip it over every once and a while, dose not have to turn well at all

i know its going to be excerize, but im looking to go as fast and efficent as possible per paddle stroke. say 15 to 25 min burst........ that would be optimal for this craft, thx

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Very pertinent to the discussion and makes the "optimum" kayak hull much more difficult to define. Straightline towing drag tests are not likely to result in such an optimum form. Probably a study of the forms arrived at empirically by the best paddlers will show some of this. Even the stroke used by different paddlers would likely have a significant effect on the best hull form.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.