tonnage

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jollyricard, Mar 11, 2012.

1. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

Dear all,

I must find for my fishing boat the correct LOA (as per regulation CEE n.2930/86). in order to verify the international tonnage of the mentioned boat.
    How must I find it? Are there guidelines in details?

many thanks
    B/R

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, you use a measuring tape.

3. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

What a strange idea in the age of 3D modelling programs (accessible to just anyone).
    Yet: I find your suggestion most appealing and practical :)

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The rules are quite straightforward:
    Lunghezza

1. Per lunghezza di una nave si intende la lunghezza fuori tutto, ovvero la distanza, misurata in linea retta, tra il punto estremo anteriore della prua e il punto estremo posteriore della poppa.

Ai fini della presente definizione:

a) la prua comprende l'ossatura stagna dello scafo, il castello di prua, la ruota di prora e la murata, ove esista, ma non i bompressi e il parapetto;

b) la poppa comprende l'ossatura stagna dello scafo, l'arcaccia, il casseretto, lo scivolo di poppa e la murata, ma non il parapetto, il buttafuori, l'apparato motore di propulsione, i timoni con l'apparecchio di governo, le scale d'immersione e le piattaforme.

La lunghezza fuori tutto va misurata in metri con approssimazione al centimetro.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You measure in a straight line, a tape does the job nicely. It the boat is out of the water, you can use a plumb bob and mark two point on the ground and then measure the distance. If the deck has too many obstructions, and the boat is in the water, tie up to a dock and mark two perpendicular points to the ends of the boat; then measure the distance.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I imagine you have to start 3d modeling with numbers which come from the measuring tape. ?

7. HakimKlunker

That is what I somehow meant, Sam.
    I recently met a guy who built his own boat and misaligned the keel lines (power-catamaran) by 3 inches; he used a laser!
    Others (me included) use a transparent hose and water (and the measuring tape) and have no such problems.

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hey Gonzo, you have started giving advices in Italian now?! :p ;)

JollyR, the excerpt from the CEE 2930/86, which Gonzo has given you, translates pretty straightforward into a simple rule: LOA is measured between foremost and aftmost points of the hull, with exclusion of removable items (bowsprits, pulpits, rudders etc.).

Cheers

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Oooo. Did he tend to go in circles or anything? Maybe one side higher than the other?

A long time ago we used the hose and water thing on a house. It was a steep learning curve for some to coordinate with someone they couldn't see using a process they didn't understand. Water seeking it's own level was a mystery. It turned out the hose was too small to work well as bubbles in the hose would throw it all off, low tolerance for frustration, learning and for trying something "new" relegated it to a tangled heap in the back of the truck. In a pinch once I had to break the bottoms off two long neck beer bottles, duct tape them to a garden hose and use that.

10. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I like that; the KISS rule.

By the way that is how the USCG measure recreational boats. A plumb bob and a tape.

11. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

yes, the rules are quite straightforward, but In order to take the lenght of the hull must I take as reference the tonnage deck?

12. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Do you have difficulty understanding the terminology in the rules? A dictionary of marine nomenclature would be a good investment.

13. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Decks have nothing to do with the LOA. You measure it horizontally between the aftmost fixed (irremovable without damaging the hull) part of the boat (regardless on which deck or vertical position it corresponds to) and the foremost fixed part of the boat (regardless on which deck or vertical position it corresponds to).

14. HakimKlunker

Jollyricard, it appears that you have the relevant paper that asked you for the dimensions. Usually, in the Introduction we can find a specification of terms used. Have you checked there?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.