Tiny boat for canal cruising - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by alexlebrit, Aug 20, 2008.

1. blackdaisies

blackdaisies Senior Member

2. NordicFolkboat

NordicFolkboat Junior Member

I'd probably go with something like a miniature English narrowboat, but then you have the problem of getting around closed locks.

[​IMG]

If you don't mind sleeping in a tent (which I do) the Glen-L PowerYak may be for you. Only problem is that it's 13 cm over the 5 m limit, but maybe you can shorten it slightly.

For moving it, just put it on a regular folding canoe dolly. Add a handle to the bow or stern and you're good to go!

3. blackdaisies

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

"costing about five to six dollars to build"
    "may be ... loaded on a donkey"
    "Acme folding boat company"

-how old is that issue of Boat Builder's Annual? I didn't know origami boats went that far back.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. blackdaisies

I don't know the origin, but somewhere in the full article, it should say. This is only the first page. They keep it together with sail cloth, so it will be water proof, it weighs 80 pounds. It's not very light.

I like the tote boat! That is perfect, but doesn't look to durable.

There are other folding boats on that url, and one says it's from the 1920s.

[​IMG]

6. millionswords

millionswords HomeMade Kayak?

these were all very useful. exactly something like I was thinking. I like to build one, for using on the backwater canals. It's still water, not flowing, so Im looking at a small Kayak Like boat. Like to get some suggestions from this forum.posting a new thread for my req.

7. NordicFolkboat

NordicFolkboat Junior Member

Or you could just start a new thread yourself. This thread deals with the design requirements for a canal boat to be built and used in France. I'm sure you have slightly different requirements as you will build and use it in India.

8. millionswords

millionswords HomeMade Kayak?

Oh yeah, sure will make a new thread. thanks for the reply,. Mods please delete my previous post. (or can i do it myself? will check)

9. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

One note on outboard placement. I have cuised the Florida everglades in a 21 foot long canoe powered by a 2.5 hp outboard. No portages, but had to carry all fresh water, so maybe 1100 pounds cargo at start of trip. I rigged the outboard on a bracket directly beside me so I didn't have to be twisted arround all the time. The bracket can be parallel to the gun'l as long as you don't care if it kicks up. If you want it to kick up, make it about 45 degrees. you can leave the kick-up and still turn the boat. Also, put a big prop off a 6 hp on it. I was getting 140 miles out of 6 gallons of gas.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.