Thoughts on a 24-foot sailboat electrical diagram

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by souljour2000, Jun 28, 2010.

1. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

I think I used tinned copper on that nav light circuit...got it at local instistution "nautical trader" of Nokomis,Florida ...a marine surplus store was still packaged but not new...still wasnt cheap though but I'll have to check and make sure...but since you pointed that out it really hit home...the regular copper strand wires have always been" shot " or green and corroded on every single used boat I ever have bought..tinned wire is really the way forward...thanks Lubber...I'm gonna need a whole lot more and it is not cheap...but it's worth it if you want peace of mind...

2. souljour2000

okay..I checked and its is NOt dual-pole...just has the positive pole inside the on/off switch..

3. Deadeye

Deadeye Bender of Nails

With all due respect to your expertise Fanie, the OP is in Fla and will have a hard time finding wire guaged in cma. Don't get me wrong, I agree that's it's the only real way to denote the amount of mass of a conductor but I think it detracts from the 'nuts and bolts' here.

As for dimming LED fixtures, I'm not aware of any fixtures that do it internally. I've installed BlueSea PWM modules that do it
    --no, I'm not a shill for BlueSea !!--
    but (to my knowledge) internally-dimming fixtures aren't too common.

If such a beast exists, I'll happily stand corrected because it will make me money in refits.

4. souljour2000

yeah. metric is really the best measuring system for any kind of quantifying endeavor...just never caught on with us Yanks I guess ..and to our detriment IMHO...though we did seem to took an honest stab at trying to convert over to metric in the public schools back in the seventies....didn't work and we're stuck with a fairly subjective system of measurement inhabiting our minds which is full of anomalies and is downright quirky ...thank goodness for the continual waves of hard-working immigrants and their 1st and second generation kids to keep the USA somewhat innovative. in the sciences...

5. souljour2000

Thanks for all the great info people!..It's been a great refresher course and also much new "course material
    'rolled into one so far...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.