Theoretical hull lines and plate thickness

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ldigas, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

As others have already said; the sensible approach (and the default) is to work to the inside of the plate for metal construction and no shipyard I have ever worked with has ever done differently.
    I provide CAD files directly now and no paper drawings except to shipwrights on smaller projects. I seldom provide offsets now except to define curves. The classic lines drawing is redundant and the detail is in the individual Frame drawing.

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

We used to provide:
    1. Lines plan of hull and cabin, as reference drawing to evaluate shapes
    2. Loft drawing or cutting files with offset (direction of offset depends what is built - male plug or female temporary mold built in plywood);

or
    2. Loft drawing or cutting files with offset for boats built in sandwich panels;

or
    2. 3D files for CNC machining of plugs/molds, no offset

or
    2. Cutting files for frames, panels etc. for steel and alu craft; there is no offset for frames.

And yes, requirement to provide table of offsets always make us confused. Last time we did it for a) Professional Boatbuilder design contest and b) Russian Maritime Register of Shipping required for check of hydrostatics/stability with their own software. Never did table of offsets for construction.

Sample of loft drawing, for wooden plug of cat hull:

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.