Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Wood Butcher

Rep: 2489 Posts: 5,300
That is just a working title for this thread. The name of the boat will be ...(Please catch our next episode of this cliff-hanger).
Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Wood Butcher

I am actually considering "NAVICULA SUBMINUSCULA".
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Rep: 851 Posts: 1,634
TEOTWAWKI isn't the Grand Finale' .
Its initials of " the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT!"
in other words, the collapse of civilization.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Wood Butcher

I knew that. Civilization as we knew it already ended. Now is the time to rebuild it. So this is the stem not the stern.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Wood Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by messabout View Post
I misread your specs. I had the hulls at 15" wide and 22 high. My bad. WIth 44 inches of bottom you might get away with a smaller engine.

I had a derelict Flying Dutchman shell at one time. I clamped a 2.2 Tohatsu on the thing and it would actually plane, not fast but clearly in sliding mode. All up weight was only about 300 pounds though. Robb White used to sell a planset for a 42 inch wide stripper. He claimed that it would plane two people with a 4HP engine. Phils boat is another case where the boat gets along with small power.

Hurry and build that thing, we wanna see pix and get a report on how well it works.
A minor revision. I finally constructed each hull width 21" + 10 oz. grp to be added so it would fit easily into truck.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Previous Member

how do you find working with cable ties hoyt, i thought about them when i built my tender but ended up tacking it with small nails. do you leave the ties in and sand them down or do you spot glue between the ties and then remove them.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 AM
VINLAND

Rep: 1146 Posts: 1,861
Don't forget to install stainless caps on the leading edges of the bows for those far northern visits during the low angle sun months--, Looking like the teardrop will have to be moved to the far corner of the yard soon to create space for laying down of the keels. Will keep an eye on progress --say Hi to all Geo.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 AM
Wood Butcher

So far, the only time I used the ties was to pull the bows together. If I use any more ties I will spot glue between them and remove them. I opted to use 1x2 strips of wood along the seams clamped and glued to give an anchoring point for attachment of adjacent plywood sheets. Using both methods give me the confidence of added hull strength where needed while saving weight in less critical areas. I will tape all the seams and any tie holes will be filled.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Rep: 1067 Posts: 1,975
Hoyt, you missed a golden opportunity. You should have done the second hull with a wooded stem piece and stitch and glue chines for comparison.

edit... nice to see the thread finally got a rating. I think you might have had the record for the longest unrated thread.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
aka Terry Haines

Rep: 2291 Posts: 3,506
I use barbeque sticks to align the plywood sheers at the stems, the holes are drilled through both planks while they are flat for accuracy. Here's a dry run. Once glued I wrap string around the dowels figure-of-eight style which holds them securely, better than the tape I was trying in the pic. Cable ties work well too but the wood dowels can be left in place with no worries about the glue not sealing to the nylon.
Attached Thumbnails
TEOTWAWKI Boat-temp.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Previous Member

thanks hoyt, good idea there too terry.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytedow View Post
Love it!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM
aka Terry Haines

Rep: 2291 Posts: 3,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytedow View Post
Be careful you don't get caught . . .
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Wood Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking north View Post
Don't forget to install stainless caps on the leading edges of the bows for those far northern visits during the low angle sun months--, Looking like the teardrop will have to be moved to the far corner of the yard soon to create space for laying down of the keels. Will keep an eye on progress --say Hi to all Geo.
All is going well so far. There will be more than 1 teardrop if I screw this up.

Keels?

I will post pictures in a day or 2. Let me know when your waters are free of ice floes.
Attached Thumbnails
TEOTWAWKI Boat-100_3323.jpg  TEOTWAWKI Boat-100_3324.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 PM
VINLAND

Rep: 1146 Posts: 1,861
Keels ? --Old traditional speech to indicate a boat build has started -- also possibility the beginning of a mans soul journeying into the depts of hell