Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 09-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Wood Butcher

Rep: 2489 Posts: 5,302
Hello, Fanie. The boat will be 4.8 meters long by 1.52 meters at the widest cross-section. The bottom of the hull at the chine will be 1.3 meters wide at the transom, starting to narrow at 1.82 meters forward of the transom's top edge.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Wood Butcher

I have moved this new construction topic to Skiff.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Fanie

Rep: 2484 Posts: 4,572
That sounds about right, I think this boat is going to be super cool. It's about the same size as a cathedral hull dory I had once, boy did that boat catch fish !

LOL, it started with a 28hp, then my butt itched and I went to a 40hp and finally I put an 85hp on it. That was a super cool combo though the motor had a bit too much power for the hull. Never the less, it had power enough to push the nose down in a chop and you could just punch through it. My ex hated when I jumped the boat out of the water just before a plane, should have done it more often

Actually looking back, the small motor was just fine. It caught more fish probably because you had more time to inspect the shore and you get a better idea where the fish would be.

Wish I could be there to help you play...
Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Wood Butcher

I could certainly use your assistance. I would not put more than 25 hp on this transom, simply because the hull will only be 6mm thick except where reinforced.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Wood Butcher

TEOTWAWKI has found a new home on a nice lake in Tallahassee.
Attached Thumbnails
TEOTWAWKI Boat-wp_003537.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Fanie

When did you build a cat ?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Wood Butcher

Two years past. You posted about it on Post 178 this thread.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Fanie

That's cheating

Nice pond... that's the kind of thing you want off the front porch, to test all your floating thingies in and for fishing.

Mind you, you want to catch the big ones elsewhere and put them in your pond.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM
Wood Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by philSweet View Post
Coming back for seconds? You are a glutton for punishment. I think you are the only one out of 56000 members to have repeated the process.

A question for you - when you get to a barrier island, do you want to be able to drag the boat above the tideline? This puts a serious weight limit on the craft. You can either build a light and tender craft that can be manhandled up a beach if necessary, or build a brick that can live in the surf zone. The former can be a perfectly adequate sea boat, but it will always feel light and tender. The second can be a lot more comfortable and versatile, but it may seriously limit your choice of landings or the duration of your stay. I'd avoid a no-mans-land boat - one that can't quite be man handled, yet doesn't really offer the stability of a heavier, bigger boat. Can you find plenty of developed camping areas with a little pier?

A. Mac 14. Bare hull about 135 pounds with CB and kick rudder mods. About 4 mm hull, taped seams, no skin, just paint. Built around 1950. Lasted 35 years. You wouldn't want more than a 4hp on it. It was a factory tack and tape build over light, softwood frames.

B. Upgraded to 16'. Bare hull about 350 pounds. 7mm okoume hull. 4mm decks. Mahogany frames and trim. White oak floor boards. Started build in 88' Still in the Keys as of Christmas according to friend who spotted her. You don't just drag this one up the beach. It has to live in the tidal zone. I designed and built her to do that. Bruynzeel Ply on frame built, heavy frames, ply floors every 12 inches between frames, 25mm transom and bow, 17mm ply gussets on frames. Seats, trim, beams got out of 5/4 x 14 mahogany board. It survived two cars wrecks that totaled the cars, fell out of a tree, cartwheeled up a beach in the surf with the mast and sails up. Destroyed a 20,000 pound houseboat that broke loose in a storm and ended up in the slip with my boat. Carried a 25 hp motor after conversion to motor skiff. I used to tie it to my shed to protect the shed from hurricane damage.
Well, in February I took it down to Hog Key, about 10 miles south of Port of the Islands Marina, which is itself about 16 miles south of Naples. I put the bow on the beach and made camp on the boat. At dawn the boat was more than its length away from the water's edge have been blown onto shore during the night's high tide.
Attached Thumbnails
TEOTWAWKI Boat-img_20170223_131316147-2-.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Wood Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanie View Post
That's cheating

Nice pond... that's the kind of thing you want off the front porch, to test all your floating thingies in and for fishing.

Mind you, you want to catch the big ones elsewhere and put them in your pond.
We found a new pond for the Puppis Furcatus, a canal connected to the Gulf of Mexico.
Attached Thumbnails
TEOTWAWKI Boat-wp_003502.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
aka Angel (only by name)

Rep: 1632 Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytedow View Post

Well, in February I took it down to Hog Key, about 10 miles south of Port of the Islands Marina, which is itself about 16 miles south of Naples. I put the bow on the beach and made camp on the boat. At dawn the boat was more than its length away from the water's edge have been blown onto shore during the night's high tide.

Looking at all that gas aboard I was thinking you were gone 16 miles south of Naples in Italy . . .
Quote:
Old 03-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Wood Butcher

It was scheduled 3 night camping trip. The extra gas was for island hopping.

Naples(Napoli) is overdue for a super volcano so I will keep off of it for awhile. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ns-Europe.html
Attached Thumbnails
TEOTWAWKI Boat-faka-union-river-hog-key.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM
aka Angel (only by name)

-
I'm glad you're enjoying the boat Hoyt . .

BTW, how's the FL Feb temp nowadays, any ice yet . . ? ? ? - (as a consequence of the fact the earth cooling down now, as we all know . . )

P.S. - Nice paint job
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Wood Butcher

It was frosty south of Jacksonville a few days ago. Here in the central part of the state it was a few degrees warmer but not much. Happy springtime!

P.S. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 PM
aka Angel (only by name)

-
That seems reasonable according to ---> Plant Maps ---> Florida Average Last Frost Date Map

Jacksonville = Zone 7 = Avg. Last Frost on Mar. 11 - Mar. 20 ---> Maybe they even have some cold feet today or tonight there . .

You seem to be safe now ---> Tampa region = Zone 4 = Avg. Last Frost on Feb. 11 - Feb. 20 . .

How was the temp while camping . . ?