TEOTWAWKI Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hoytedow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Moving on. It is time to design the next boat. It will be something like a skiff or garvey just under 16 feet in length. Hopefully the old hulls can make good seats or something, perhaps even a doghouse. :D

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

"It's Time" --- :D ----Geo.

3. hoytedow

And a Happy New Year to you, Geo. :)

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Likewise To You fellow Boatbuilder -- you lucky man who resides in the south --- Sun and -16C here today dropping to Clear but -19C tonight. Cold enough to: "Freeze the nuts off a Jeep"

5. hoytedow

It is 61deg F now and just a light drizzle. By Friday it will drop to 44 F. Things could be worse, having just seen the Canadian weather report.

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyt just checked the outside temp. - 18C (0F). With only my trusty wood stove burning all electric heat off it is 25C (75F) inside. I consume about 4 cord firewood a year and the stove easily maintains 70 to 75F. On these sunny cold crisp days i never fire it up until about 2 in the afternoon, passive solarfrom our ample south facing windows will keep the temp up to around 65F.
    Most of last week was sloppy snow and rain with temp. ranging from 30 to 50F. I prefer these -18C (0F) temperatures cold but dry and no snow. Sloppy snow and rain felt colder.
    You guys are also having a little cold spurt. I think most of the mid to east parts of the continent are into this same weather. No complaints here just happy to be alive to experience it all.

7. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

My yard has several inches of compacted snow and a couple of inches of rock-hard ice over that. You can jump on it but it's a bit too slick for fooling around without crampons. Even the dog is very careful out there. I had to clear the driveway with a spade - the snowthrower just bounced off the ice. The stores have been out of salt for two weeks, they actually ran out before the official start of Winter, and I almost finished the salt from last winter. Perhaps the stores were expecting an early Spring . . .

8. hoytedow

Perhaps a light sprinkling of builder's sand would help add friction to the slick places.

9. hoytedow

It only went up to 82 F today but the rain front will quickly put us in the 50's. :D

10. ancient kayaker

Got the salt today. Same place already has patio chairs and lawnmowers, despite the coldest night of the year (so far); some seasons are prepared for with more enthusiasm than others . . .

11. hoytedow

And now begins the next adventure in boat building. First draft.

Beam 60 inches
    Length 189 inches
    Transom height 20 inches

Attached Files:

12. ancient kayaker

No comments without a SOR!

13. hoytedow

SOR is short for standard operating requirements?
    Hull will be 6mm marine ply stitch and glue taped seams sheathed with 6 oz fgc with internal stringers added at points of probable impact. 2 part foam flotation will be introduced under the seats(not yet drafted) and along the catwalk decks(also not yet drafted). On the outside of the hull along the center line and chines, stripes of multiple layers of tape will be applied to resist wear when beaching.

The attached drawing is the jig station 8 feet from the back edge of the transom.

The purpose of the boat is to allow access for 2 people to the small barrier islands along the Gulf Coast of Florida as well as inland waters across the South.

Attached Files:

14. hoytedow

This is the jig station 14 feet from the transom.

Attached Files:

15. hoytedow

I am more concerned with seaworthiness than speed so will stick with the same 9.9 Honda outboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.