TEOTWAWKI Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by hoytedow, Apr 20, 2012.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

The trim and tilt (If you can get for such a small motor) is a bargain if you paddle through the shallows. The weight and money is a lame excuse :D

Ah yes, as always.

3. hoytedow

Trim and tilt(electric) is available for the motor but at several hundred dollars more. Besides which, the motor I ordered arrived today at my dealer's. :)

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I spent a fair amount of time today wandering through various websites and looking at outboards. According to PAR, the optimal configuration for Egress {the 28' riverboat he drew for me] is either a single 30 hp outboard, or a pair of 20 hp (for better maneuverability). Anything bigger is overkill, and won't really push me beyond hull speed. As he put it, to climb out of the hole and go significantly faster would probably take a big-block Chevy with a blower.... and it would cut into my fishing space on the rear deck.

With a 28' boat and a pilot house forward, I'm obviously going to go with electric start and electric tilt. Still waffling on a single outboard vs. a pair, though. The actual price differential between two 20's and a single 30 isn't as big as you might think....

5. hoytedow

I have changed my mind. I decided to paint the boat with Pettit topsides one part polyurethane instead of acrylic house paint.

Let's see how many coats I can get from this gallon can.

Attached Files:

6. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

WAY better choice.

Carry on.

7. hoytedow

Outside surfaces took 3 coats and less than 1/2 gallon. Now to flip her over and do the decks, first 2 coats in white then I will add some color and sawdust to cut the glare and make the surface less slippery. I will paint the insides after some final epoxy detailing and preliminary fitting of the seat mounts.

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Sawdust tends to form obnoxious clumps if mixed in the paint. Try sprinkling it on coat two with a flour sifter and then overcoating with a neat coat (sprinkle heavy, let tack, dry roll very gently, let cure, brush/vac/blow, then paint again). Commercial products do work much better, for what it's worth. Some can even be sprayed. Play sand works better than sawdust. And it is white, so it doesn't give you a dirty look when it starts to show through.

Then again, you can just thicken the paint with fulminated silica and put it on with a roller. This takes a bit of practice in terms of thickeners and thinners to get what you want. What ever way you do it, the most important element to success is to get a perfectly uniform and fairly thin base coat before dusting on the nonskid. Any thick spots will soak up and leave a warty plateau.

9. hoytedow

Yes, the sprinkling technique is the one I am to use after rolling on the second layer of white paint. After a day of drying I will add some color and re-coat. I have already sifted the sawdust through a screen to remove anything over a certain size. Any excess sawdust material will be removed with a blower before over-coating.

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- or you can find out how plasters do those neat patterned ceilings!

When I paint a boat outdoors I usually get the anti-slip finish done for free by the local flies :)

11. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I have wondered what the difference in fuel consumption would be. I have a long range sternwheel cruising boat in mind that needs about 26 hp. The motors would not be outboards but 4 stroke Hondas with electric start and step down gearboxes. I'm wondering what the fuel consumption would be with two 13 hp engines compared to one 26 Hp engine. The two engines would allow a split wheel for maneuverability.

I also wonder what is the best way to size an engine for the load.
    I imagine engines are rated for hp at wide open throttle. I know there is a 'power range' for engines where they operate best for power, but is that also the range where they operate best for fuel economy? And is that also the range where they operate best considering wear and tear on the engine?

Assuming engines are rated for hp at wide open throttle, and assuming wot all the time is not a good idea, if the power requirements for a displacement vessel at optimum cruising speed were say 50 hp, what would be the best size engine to use?

12. hoytedow

One can lay a tread pattern with masking tape before painting and sprinkling grains, then peel tape away after overcoating.

Attached Files:

13. Submarine Tom

I've never used sawdust for that. I'd be concerned about colour bleed.

I have used a salt shaker to distribute salt granuals fairly evenly though.

It's looking great Hoyt!

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I think you get some silicone beads that are oval, weigh nothing, mixes well in the resin and doesn't leave sharp points that makes skin contact unpleasant.

15. Submarine Tom

I'm quite sure I don't need to tell you this but after my boss improperly broke his new 225Hp, $25 000

outboard in, I thought I'd mention it. Follow the manufactures recommendations. You only get one

chance at that first hour of operation. Constantly varying the throttle can be a distraction AND a chore.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.