Teak transom

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by francis.krosend, Jun 9, 2008.

1. francis.krosend

francis.krosend Junior Member

Hi there,

Can any one tell me where I can get some info on how to install a teak transom and a teak deck in a boat.
    Also where can I some info on the mezzanine material any information will be highly appreciated.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Melamine is the material I think you mean and it's used primarily in land based cabinet making. It's a durable thermoset plastic that is affixed to particle board (typically). For this reason it's not useful in marine applications, as it will literally fall apart after a short time. The surface material (the molded plastic resin) will stay intact, but the substrate will break down very quickly.

Teak decking as well as other forms of conventional planking are covered in a few different texts, though like much of everything in yacht construction, requires several different skills to apply. It would be nice if each element, technique and method would have it's own reference manual, but in most cases they are generally covered in books about boat building or construction.

This site has many previous posts about teak decks and carvel planking (your teak transom) and a search would prove fruitful.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

What sort of boat is it, frp or timber.

They both have entirely different ways to do the job.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.