synergies land and sea?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Timothy, May 16, 2014.

1. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Concept for an off grid beach house hobby farm and house boat,for the impecunious sailor, fisherman , gentleman farmer, road gypsy, and world traveller.

I built a 15’ long 1/4 size scale model of the folding solar electric proa design I am working on while I was in Thailand this winter. I did some tests and although I was happy with the results I determined to make some changes to reduce the part numbers, decrease the weight, increase the strength, and ease the construction process, It became apparent to me that I needed more length and volume in the safety ama but I could do with less in the ama it self. I also came to the conclusion that it would be best to have the boat at 8’6” on the trailer and have some parts removed and stored within the hulls in order to transport both the boat and trailer in a 20’ container within the limits imposed by a 7’6” door opening. I wasn't happy with the way the solar panel convertible top stored or deployed either so I have changed that. I also began to think about synergies possible between land and marine habitats,with regard to, transport, water, food , fuel supply ,and waste management.

Pictured are a few ideas that came to mind .A small unserviced waterfront plot with fruit trees , high density vegetable and herb gardens .Small yard with tractor chicken coop. car port roof canopy and folding bungalow with composting head ( waste used to fertilize garden)that integrates with the boat on its trailer to form a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house with Thai (outside) kitchen, barbecue and laundry room .The solar array on the boat is now 4400 wats which is plenty for the house loads and operation of the Torqeedo powered dingy that is the boats auxiliary means of propulsion. Added to that is the 3000 wats available from the land based carport roof canopy and bungalow(rain water is channelled from these to a catchment and then pumped to the elevated water tank).This would provide enough power for all the house loads as well as power the electric SUV pictured (none exist but rumour has it that Telsa is working on one) for about 100 kilometres ,and power the untethered dingy for daily fishing trips.

When the boat is towed those solar panels still exposed are providing the SUV with some power to extend its range while under the additional load. Stopped at a park the trailer is extended, the cockpit unfolded and the solar panels are deployed (two bedroom condo). Stay as long as you like, Use the dingy on a nearby lake. Go hunting or fishing and put the catch in the freezer . Take the SUV and explore or buy supplies. See the world.

Pie in the sky? No doubt. But I should say there is a guy in California who has a large house and a Tesla sports car that he powers entirely with a 6500 wat solar array. His commute to work if I remember correctly is 70 miles a day. Tractor chicken coops are common now in urban environments and high density gardens are sprouting up on city rooftops all over the world.Composting heads are getting better . Solar panels are lighter, cheaper, and more efficient than ever, as are batteries. Telsa has a wide network of solar charging station through out Norway the U.S, Canada and soon China. Many hotels and motels offer free high speed charging, and soon I think marinas will follow.

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Lots of points made here at

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...endant-living-units-water-possible-50040.html

I wonder how the proa contributes to the land living - its a bit small , and a lot expensive to fish from.

You would need to do a detailed financial analysis before the concept could be considered. If you have ever tried to grow all your own food, you would know that you would need a lot of expensive land near the ocean to be able to make this concept work.

3. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Actually I made my living for 10 years gardening in the summer on small patches of remote waterfront land I didn`t pay a cent for. I left my boat at anchor and used my dingy to commute to a dock I rented for $200.00 a season that included a parking spot for my car . The dock was less than a ten minute drive to a tourist town of ten thousand people .
    For the concept to work the land would only have to be near the water . the boat could be launched, the car and trailer returned to the land base and electric folding bikes used to return to the boat.

Fishing or diving would be done from the electric tender. On my own boat I used to line fish only crossing from Florida to the Bahamas. I always caught at least one Dolphin, and sometimes tuna and mackerel which I froze. While in the Bahamas I never had any problem using my Boston Whaler to access the reef to fish. I could easily spear enough grouper and lobster to feed the crew
    diving only for a couple of hours, two or three times a week.

When I first started cruising the Bahamas over forty years ago fisher men still built shacks on the small cays to stay in temporarily, using their sailing dingies to dive from and spear fish.

I chose the proa to illustrate the concept because that is the design I am currently working on. What drew me to the proa is that it is the cheapest and lightest boat for the greatest length that can be built. it also allows for enough space for a the solar array needed to power an electric auxiliary.

Yes for a 60 foot boat the living space on a proa is limited but on the other hand its no smaller than my Freedom 40 which I have spent years at a time living aboard quite happily. Coupled to a land based micro home complete with full sized wash room laundry room and fully equipped kitchen There would be plenty of space for a couple with two children. (google micro home)