Swing Keel- Bahama Sandpiper

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by phatbouy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. phatbouy

phatbouy New Member

I`m Hauling/Bottom Painting a New to Me: `79 Bahama Sandpiper- 24` Cutter Rigged... Where might I find Information/ Drawings/ Details for the Swing Keel? Designer/ C. W. (Chuck) Paine- Builder/ Squadron Yachts, Bristol, R. I. What Tips, or Insight is Available prior to inspection...What should I look for? She operates very smoothly... Any information regarding Swing Keel Pivot Inspection will be Greatly Appreciated...Thank-you...

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Phatbouy, Welcome to the forum. You can Google "Bahama Sandpiper 24 Sailboat" and get this link:

http://www.chuckpaine.com/pdf/24bahamasandpiper24.pdf

Here is another link, for a brochure:

http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/bahamasan.pdf

You can also contact Chuck Paine directly for more specific information. He is retired now, but he still lives in Maine and you can find him on Facebook--he posts a lot of his paintings and pen-and-ink drawings there now.

Eric

3. Captain Jazz

Captain Jazz New Member

Just saw this post. Do you still need help with your swing keel? I recently droped the swing keel and replaced the pin on my Bahama Sandpiper.

4. phatbouy

phatbouy New Member

Ahoy there, Cap`t Jazz... I appreciate any information. How high do I need to suspend her when she`s hauled to inspect/ repair the pivot? I`ll assume the height of the suspended keel plus enough play to totally remove the pin. I`ll also assume at least 3 men with no where to grab and lift, how much for your secrets? Will I have to cut any of the box for access? Finally for now, do you have any pictures? Thanks Again...

5. Captain Jazz

Captain Jazz New Member

Ahoy Phatbouy,
    I think the optimal height of the boat would be so the suspended keel is just off the ground. That way it won't have far to fall when you drop it and you wont have to lift it too high.
    The first thing to do is to remove the two nuts on the top of the keel trunk. You can access them by lifting the keel trunk cover. Once removed the keel should drop to the ground. I had to shake mine a few times to get it to come loose. Be careful once loose it came crashing down.
    The design is pretty simple. It's just a bracket with a pin that goes through the middle of the keel. Replace the stainless steel pin.
    With the keel out you can paint it and the inside of the keel trunk. It's designed to get a paint roller inside.
    It took three men to reinstall the keel. I dropped a string through one of the holes in the top of the keel trunk and tied it to one of the bolts on the top of the bracket. One guided the bolt through the hole with the string. Two lifted the keel using the grooves on the inside of the keel trunk line it up. My boat was not high enough to vertically suspend the keel. We were able to slide it forward and up using the grooves as a guide.
    You might want to replace the line that lifts the keel. I used this:
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...e=Novagold Nylon Double Braid Mooring Pendant RWE-DBMP 12X12. I attached it with a shackle and a stainless steel bolt as the shackle bolt was to fat to fit through the hole in the back of the keel.
    Sorry no pictures. Good luck!
    Captain Jazz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.