Swath Time

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Upston, Aug 15, 2009.

1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

:D True but it's not allways an option.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Contact?

"My question for the smart fellows is what thrust or HP or whatever is required to drive this pig at 10k with a reasonable safety margin."

Brad,

I was assuming the houseboat hull would not normally be in contact with the water. Is that your plan?

If so, how will you stabilize the craft (roll, pitch)?

Steering?

Tom

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

"...If so, how will you stabilize the craft (roll, pitch)?.."

I'm sure he's waiting for all those smart guys and their smart replies before he continues, being so expert on SWATH designs :rolleyes:

4. Upston

Upston Junior Member

Hi Tom, Thanks for your question, If you read Ricks posts you will see that a simple cat hull would probably be a lot easier for me to pull of than a SWATH concept.

Being an active but far from expert boat fan I would quickly admit my lack of technical training in marine engineering. I was not apprised of the roll issues Rick pointed out so I think it would be better to go with some existing proven design.

I well say I am a always surprised at the really sour and nasty comments the Senior members of this forum make on most of the posts. These guys are very talented in this field but seem to delight in mocking all the dreamers like me. You must all have some sad issues that these cheap shots amuse you enough to waste you precious time on fools like me.

I am a member of several forums and many are quite frank but you lot, and we all know who I'm referring to, need to respond in a civilized way or just do some mischief to a small animal to get it out of your system.

Thanks again Tom and all the other friendly boat people.

Brad

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Upston
    "..I would quickly admit my lack of technical training in marine engineering.."

If this is the case, how do you know one comment is better than another??

Surely you should not be so immediately drawn to one comment just because it seems to "fit". If you want an objective engineering/technical solution then that is very different from an opinion that 'sounds nice'. It seems you are more inclined to listen to opinions rather than technical merit that is supported by a database of previous designs/facts. I think it is that which confuses your perspective. You're not the first nor the last to think as such...

Since "...If you read Ricks posts you will see that a simple cat hull would probably be a lot easier for me to pull of than a SWATH concept..."...this is very different from your original post.

It sounds like you have not thought through the differences between a SWATH and a catamaran of sorts. If you're unsure and wish a debate on this, then Rick's comment is valid in that context. But if you, as you started, with a SWATH, why flip-flop to a totally different type of design? Just implies that you have yet to think through what it is you want....

This is in no way a criticism, just an observation. Since a dream boat changes with opinions. But when you have decided upon what IS you dream boat, it wont, it just lacks details to make it work. So with respect, you need to decide yourself first, what is you want not what others want you to have, and have a fixed SOR.

6. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Brad
    It is a good time to buy a boat rather than build. When you look at the specs on this boat you wonder what problems it has:
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...rency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=64851&url=
    It would have better accommodation than most suburban houses and about half the price or even less. You trade marina fees for rates. You do not need to use the installed power.

I am certain it would have some problems at that price but you could ask Frosty to have a look. If you pay him he will give a realistic view I am sure.

If your ambition is to get away from it all and you have a bit of capital then there is no better time.

If you are looking at hulls then Wharram cats are easily driven but do not have the sort of displacement for length you are seeking. If you look around right now you might find abandoned projects with hulls at give away prices.

Anything that ends up 30t is going to cost you a good deal of money. If you own a workshop and can do it as a fill in project with only marginal costs then it could be economic compared with shopping around. Depends on whether your fun is in the building or the boating; or maybe both

Rick W.

7. yipster

yipster designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.