super custom 70+ft cat. need feedback

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Vitmus, Nov 10, 2016.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Suggest you also look into the price of sandblasting to white,proper (epoxy) primer,and proper final coatings.

Oh,and that's every square inch-inside and out.

Many require 2 or 3 coats.

Don't forget the anti fouling.

2. Vitmus

Vitmus Junior Member

mydauphin,

Without you opening it in sketchup, it's hard to see it all, especially with the limited upload space, but there are two bathrooms on the main level (back to back), two queen berths in the hulls w/bathrooms (stairs down on back of salon couch and next to kitchen counter), and the flybridge is a very comfortable lounge area with a wet bar, that could have a hide a bed or two also.
    The boat is 68 ft from the lower point on the bow to the back of the swim step. (the swim step is to high and would be modified so that it is a functional waterline equation. It is 77 ft from the very tip of the boat to the back of the dingy deck. I have a 16 ft Rabolo that will go back there. (1650 lbs) and a jet ski, or my seadoo explorer.

WestVanHan, Haven't priced the sand blasting media but have done it before... inside of a 60ft diam. tank. Rented big compressor and hood setup. Had to strip the epoxy paint and repaint... not fun. My issue with aluminum is that it is one of the lesser noble metals, therefore more likely to get eaten, (if you have a steel hull, you can use aluminum for your anodes, cheaper than zinc.) special primer is needed unless you leave it raw (not attractive). You will need anti fouling with both. I have the metco spray gun set up to spray on the zinc coating. should spray on copper..... (don't know if possible or legal.) That doesn't sound fun either, but all of it is a work of love, just time and money. Will be able to call it home when done.

Wife wants a waterfront home, so....... Build a big boat. Taxes go down with age and are never as high as a multi million dollar house, no yard to keep up, if done right, no power bill. Use fuel when you want to and sit still if you don't want to spend the money. Live anywhere and have the view that only the multi million dollar homes have.

Will put in a couple Raritan ManaGerm Type II MSD units so I don't have to pump out. Could gunk hole for months. :)

The ICE... On our trip to AK, which I really enjoyed, but was way to rushed, only a month to do it in at 8 knots was long days, almost every day. Met a couple in a trawler that had been up there for 4 months. Once north, Even when not going to the glacier, there was still Ice here and there. (This trip was a little premature in my life, but I wanted to make sure that I could take my Dad on that trip before life took it's course. Yes, it was a full boat, my family of 5 and my parents, and two dogs....) So, build the new boat so that I can sail north with family or friends comfortably, safely, and not worry about it, that is one of the goals.

Knowing that there is more living space available now, thoughts?

3. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

When I did my boat, No matter the CAD, I redid interior after I had hull in place. Nothing like sitting on the bridge to help you design it. I would build boat first and then do final layout once you can walk around it. If you have an aluminum then you do become galvanic corrosion crazy, but dont think steel boat are immune, it just takes longer.

When you set out to build a boat like this, you buy a big used compressor, welding equipment, cranes, saws, etc... You are going to be at it a long time. Years in fact.

This guy has a bunch of videos on how to build one in steel and what is involved. svseeker.com In retrospect, I would have done many things different. I should have built smaller and in a roofed area. I would have saved years and lots of money. Weather is a big down time no matter where you build.

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.