Supcat - The innovative stand up paddle board

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jeandupont, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

"less wetted surface in relation to a race board the same size" is not relevant because race boards are not the same size.

You should do some simple drag tests. Pull a common race board (well know and respected) at 3 to 6 knots by a rope with force scales at each end (so the rider can optimize trim) then do the same with supcat. The video would do great to demonstrate your claims and generate interest.

Hydrofoils are getting big development in wind powered craft but SUP does not have the thrust to sustain flight. Even top athletes in kayaks (double blade paddle), rowing needles, or peddle props can only fly for half an hour or so. In SUP I suspect you are overestimating the performance advantage and desirability of multihull and vastly underestimating the desirability of the surf board image and fashion sense of most buyers.

About variable width and cost -one of my favorite sayings is that "there is nothing so expensive as that witch does not work". The corollary in business is there is nothing so expensive as a product nobody buys. A SUP that sells a dozen or so at $2000 can be a huge looser and a SUP that is more complicated can be a huge winner selling for the same or less by the thousand.

Customer acquisition cost, inventory, shipping, retail markup... and high risk financing, these are the big cost drivers. Have you done an estimate from the point of sale back through production and purchasing where all the money goes?

Jean, I sent you my contact info in a private mail.

2. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

I never used it as a sailboard, was looking to use the shell for a fast e boat competition, and it never happened when I got busy at work. The hulls are shaped somewhat like airplane wings- curved at the outside and straight on the inside tunnel( tapered below the water line and flat across the bottom). Shape probably adds stability and improves steering control compared to the other strictly elongated football shape pontoons, which I have found to have twitchy steering at speed- at least with short hulls.

I also have some pointed single tip "V" float tubes, and have observed a turbulence suction drag drifting upwards into the open section of the "V" between the two points. The center section between the two pontoons touches the water and provides significant displacement lift at least equal to the pontoons, there is no tunnel to reduce center section contact. This design of the "V" is very stable in chop compared to short pontoons, with predictable steering but very slow for the same energy input.

Hope this helps,

PC

3. Jeandupont

Jeandupont Designer/Boatbuilder

Hi Skyak,

The Supcat is 14 feet and is the same size as the race boards with 14 feet. Its width has 30 inches but the Supcat wet surface is equivalent to a board of 10 feet.

Interesting about this test, i will try to do filming and post here in the forum. Thank you for this advice.

Really the world of hydrofoils for SUPs is far but i still believe in the use of foils for stability on boards of smaller width like the race boards but not necessarily to fly on the surface.

On production and selling costs in general i have a base and some dealers has interested in the resale.

In March and April i am planning to do a Supcat Demo Trip to demonstrate Supcat, i think it will be a good start to demonstrate and get feedback in North America for Supcat.

I not received your email Skyak, send me again please.

Thank you! 

Jean Dupont
    supcatbrasil@outlook.com
    Intagram @supcatbr

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

I used the BDnet-profile-email user....it must have lost the email. I just sent a new one directly to your outlook address above.

At 30inch beam you are much wider and more stable than typical 27inch race 14s. The drag test is such an easy way to establish the low drag claim it is conspicuous in it's absence. The important point is to move immediately past skepticism and get potential customers on the board for a test run. Rutabega, for example, is on a lake so customers can try products out.

Using foils for stability is interesting but unlikely to result in a production product -just the kind of concept we favor at BD.net! But that is another thread....

The reason I asked if you had your cost structure estimated is so that you could see the sensitivities and risks. Not the kind of thing to discuss on public forums but some products have much better attributes. You have my email if you want to talk more.

5. Jeandupont

If anyone is interested in representation or in a partnership please contact me via email.
    supcatbrasil@outlook.com

Best regards
    Jean Dupont

6. Jeandupont

Our Instagram @supcatbr

Thank You
    Jean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.