Summer Project-Transom replacement

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blonhrt88, Jun 5, 2009.

1. blonhrt88

blonhrt88 Newbie

Well, here we are at the sanding and smoothing stage. We were handed down a 15ft Fleet Craft outboard, bow rider boat with a rotten transom. Here's where we are...(pics). Outer fiberglass skin is off(needs to be sanded badly) and the rotten wood is out. This weekend we are going to finish smoothing out the place for the new plywood, cutting and sealing the new plywood. We also need some of the remaining plywood for the bow because the existing floor covers only to the console. Then onto the carpet and the paint, the seats and the electronics. There's also a pulley system that's being used for the steering right now, which seems pretty ghetto to me so that's being replaced. Lets say, end of June we should see some pretty good results!:?: I have high hopes and dreams for this boat.

Attached Files:

2. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Is there a reason for not splitting the boat in the hull/ upper deck/ inner lining?:confused:

Sorry, had to say it....

(Then you could have removed/ replaced the wood from the inside of the hull, keeping the outside of the hull as much as possible intact).

3. blonhrt88

blonhrt88 Newbie

yeah, there is lol. We originally were planning to take the skin off the back and then thought about going from the inside, so we tried it. the splash well was in the way and the wood (although rotten) was fiberglassed over from the inside. even when we were lying down with a flashlight and the smallest tool we could fit up under there, we didnt have room to get arm-movement in. we came back to our original idea of taking the skin off the back, which we left completely in tact. in the end, its just a little more resin and fiberglass work we will have to do(plus painting). That ends up outwaying the benefits of tearing it apart...

4. blonhrt88

blonhrt88 Newbie

Almost done :)

So we are about done! All there is left to do is sand and paint the back, re-drill holes for the motor mount and drain, and glue the carpet down. And then wash it down! Will post some pics later...

Who knew it would be so worth it :D

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Carpet is the quickest way to kill all your new work. Consider an anti skid paint instead.

6. blonhrt88

blonhrt88 Newbie

yes yes, I have considered it. This boat is already from the 1960's, so I dont need it to last a lifetime. Carpet looks and feels good, plus its easy. :p

7. blonhrt88

blonhrt88 Newbie

so, i think this counts for a "long way" at the end of june!

Attached Files:

• boat.jpg
      boat.jpg
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:

8. blonhrt88

blonhrt88 Newbie

Good thing i dont have a gun, because i would have shot myself already! We got the boat in the water and it started, and ran, and planed beautifully.The second trip, not so much. We couldnt even get a spark. The motor is a Johnson 50hp electric switch from 1972, so what can i ask for right? Now we have to save for a while so we can put on a new motor. Damn...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.