Submarine Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kc135delta, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi Kc, let us all assume that we are taking you seriously for the point of the exercise. It is without a shadow of doubt an extremely expensive project in relation to what pleasure you can gain from the end result. After all, the Navy doen't design and build subs because they are more economical vessels, say than a small frigate, which sails on the surface.
    My real question is this: How did you make your money? It is time that you came clean!

2. wellmer

wellmer New Member

submarine extremly expensive ?

best thing of a submarine versus surfaceship is the save harbor in any storm beneath the waves - this is a mayor benefit.

Second cruising underwater is more energy efficient than on surface.

If we let the navy and wargame stuff aside we should think about mother nature. There is no marine animal that makes long trips on surface due to this physics...in fact "surface animals" do not exist because mother nature found that it is better engineering to do things under surface or in the air - and mother nature is wise... Maybe we should see surface ships as a result of our "not yet capacity" to do our transport and ocean crossing trips under surface.

I insist that a well planned submarine yacht as lined out in concretesubmarine.com - has less building and maintainance cost than similar sized surface yachts...i tested this out for a decade.

Cheers Wilfried

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You've read too much Jules Verne. Because of BG limitations and always negative BM, roll motion submerged can be as much as or more than on the surface unless you go reeaaallll deep. Don't take my word for it, talk to any submariner who has had to experience it.

4. wellmer

wellmer New Member

movements in a submarine

hi submariner, yep have heared and seen this before. Any diver knowns that big waves can be perceptible below surface.

Movements in a surface ship originate in boyancy changes, and are influenced by forcearms. It is obvious that things become a lot more quiet if you submerge the hull and all boyancy forces become steady.

When i say quiet it is not a product of my imagination nor reading Jules - i built a 20 ton prototype and tested it out for a decade - so i know what i am talking about.

This prototype is VERY different in ballast configuration, forcearms, etc to a military sub.

The fact that x knot speed, sub surface waiven, boat flexibility, forearm configuration, wavelength etc.. can combine to a vomit ride in a military sub. Does not contradict what i am saying - we are talking about VERY different cases here. If you are kind to the sea the sea will be kind to you...

Hindenburg crossed the Atlantic with a pencil balanced on its tip. A jet plane can make it impossible to get your coffee down.

Cheers Wil,

5. wellmer

wellmer New Member

benefits of a submarine yacht versus surface yacht

Hi Alex, the mayor tecnical benefits of a submarine yacht - especially one of the make i suggest - versus a surface yacht are:

save harbor beneath the waves

no hurricane season wandering

marina and harbor free operation

closed burglar and pirate safe

quiet living space at sea

drift dive operation

economic cruising

small engine

enormous range

lower slip and maintainance cost

lower hull building and engine cost

Cheers Wil
    www.concretesubmarine.com

6. McNole

McNole New Member

he Drew DeBord all right, drew it out 8 pages:p

7. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

This thread is funny, have another beer:D cruising underwater in a tin can:?: Jeez i am going to have another beer:idea:

8. Çemberci

Çemberci Senior Member

my submarine

Sir
    My submarine hull is attached..File is valid for HULLFORM Program
    http://www.hullform.com/dl-hullstat...imes of your money No Problem Oktay Cemberci

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

What about sonar?

I worked on nuke sub overhaul for 6 years and quailified. I've read most of these post and the main design problems have not been discussed. A sub is a pressure safe hull inside a pressure safe hull, not a piece of rolled pipe. The inner hull for equipment and living space. The outer ballast tanks with oxygen bottles. Solid ballast tanks on bottom. The equipment needed to operate a sub determines the size. From all the subs I have been on, I do not have a clue as to where you would park a heilo. What about sonar? Do you think you can run blind in the ocean? Do you know how many subs are out there? Do you know the games being played underwater? Do you know how many subs have been sunk by hitting "underwater mountains"? I would'nt put one of my family members in any submarine not owned and operated by the govt. If you float this thing, name it "Target".

10. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

mariner 40 - jeez finally some commonsense, thanks sport - i was thinking of sending moses out there to rescue this poor fellow, cruising is about fresh air - open skies - women - wine. Imagine stuck in jail - you know - he doesnt

11. jkittel

jkittel Junior Member

It seems to me that maintaining neutral boyancy is a major source of complication for a personal submarine. You either need to have crew 24/7, never stay below while your sleeping, or have your neural boyancy controlled automatically.

Why not have slightly less then neutral boyancy, and be teathered to a float on the surface? In the unlikely event that the teather is severed, ballast could be immediately dropped in order to surface. Alot of research submarines have near-failsafe boyancy measures, where an electromagnet holds on to metal weights. If anything interrupts the circuit, the weights drop and the submarine surfaces. Wavemotion transmitted from the float to the submarine could be reduced by having an elastic teather, or by having the float only be a small proportion of the submarines boyancy.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

OR you could simply anchor in shallow harbors , drop to the bottom and not hassle with boyancy

FF

13. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

A tether is just an entanglement hazard, and the systems needed to ensure that other vessels miss it are less reliable than that an auto-depth system. You can make a mechanical auto-depth system for about $200 worth of parts. And holding depth is not that difficult either, a what generally happens is that you end up "sitting" on density layers.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

You are all barking up the wrong tree, a sub was lost recently with 4.5 tons of coke (not cola type, the powder from leaves) and a replacement is needed for a 100ton load to USA to flood the market

No more crap than elsewhere and at least a logical use. Unless inspiration is needed for another song. some of the singers are dead though.

15. wellmer

wellmer New Member

to answer the serious part...

slam into seamouts...

as in aviation not any flying machine is a battle jet and not any issue that applies to military jet also applies to any civilian version (ultralight plane) ...the seamount issue is a problem for a nuke sub - not for a submarine yacht that can get its GPS position at any time.

get targeted...
    somebody suggested to play "yellow submarine" by underwater loudspeakers to make clear for our fierce military wargame players sonar watchmen (with whom they are playing? - russian subs are rotting in wladivostok!) that this is not a nuke and coke loaded doomsday boat built by the "united coalition of dark forces" comming in to destroy mankind all together...
    Well i hope it is still in "general use" to identify before shooting - or is paranoia overboarding that badly ???!!!! - you tell me - i am building a 200ton project right now should i get a set of underwater loudspeakers ?? or does jellow paint still the job....

only trust a government sub...
    well i trust my own skills more than the government - which government ever we are talking about - the american managed a o-ring failure in a space shuttle that would be obvious for a first semester engineering student - a couple of metric mix up to blind hubble, lost some mars explorers...etc...etc...not planning to have that kind of flaws on a boat my life depends on...

will not engage that old and stupid "drug submarine" discussion again...it is suficintly clear that a private submarine yacht is a good thing to get all attention of all people in all harbors, all authority attention during building, all attention of all sonar operators as unique submeriged contact versus thousands of surface contacts on coast guard patrol ships, all attention as a project from forums, is very obvious in all, aspects therefore no less than 12 intents as we speak have been captured by colombian navy alone, there are dozends of methods of marine smuggling that are less obvious less attention catchy therefore much more effective and headache for authorities. A private submarine threat to national security will always come up when it comes to justify overboarding militay budgets in submarine hunting - but it does not exist - i am implementing submarine yachting as a segment to the yacht market - so i need a really clear distance to bad guys of that kind. My civil submarine building proyect went straight up to highest naval authorities and surley is the most watched and supervised project on south american coasts. So if you are looking for the worst possible drug project - a private submarine is it. So i am really sick of those "funny guys" to connect private submarines with drugs on forums and making private submariners life that hard when it comes to register private submarine yachts before the competent authorities.

What i try is to be a good ambassador for a new nautic sport and it is not funny if some ignorants go to kill my work.

Kindest Regards,

W.Ellmer
    (www.concretesubmarine.com)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.