Submarine Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kc135delta, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Challenger accident didn't disqualify NASA as a space shuttle designers.

No, it proved that PC has NO place in the real world where folks die for other folk's "feelings".

FAST FRED

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

So the heat in the kitchen got a little too much for our freind KC. He has decided to call it a day on asking for assistance on his submersable. He finally reaslised that some were smelling a rat and exposing his outragous fantasy.

Did you notice that in the begining he said that the design would swing with his mood!, he also, as attention was paid to him dropped a bomb shell in saying he wanted an opening door to this vessel. You would think that to be a rather important point wouldnt you? more than an after thought.
    Wanting to keep up the attention he was so desperately seeking he then exposed his intent to enclose a helecopter. Probably knowing full well that this was just way over the top yet couldnt resist the tempation. It is likely that he himself is not too well informed on boat design and triped himself up on occasions.
    To distance himself from what he knew to be tounge in the cheek conversation he often refered to the 'owner not being himself 'yet said that he needed an escape hatch or the wife wouldnt go in it. Isnt it interesting that Ausies and Kiwi's seemed to sus this out first. yet our friends over the pond swallowed it hook line and sinker.
    I do not mean any disrespect to Kc even though his behavour could be considered disrespectfull to the forum. This is not the place to air ones hypermania.

I myself have just experienced a friend whom I had knew for a while who was a compulsive liar. This was extremely confusing, his stories every night was so interesting and never seemed to end. Amazing stories of wealth and gambling in Las vagas along with helecopter manufactures daughters.
    All very funny now but for those who are not familiar with it (as I wasnt) it leaves you confused and upset at the time consumed in paying them your attention.
    They then understand your anger and generally have a good excuse to get out, as it becomes clear to them that you are no longer susceptable to there story they make there excuses and leave.

3. twakeley

twakeley NAME Student

hey!

Just because you aussies and kiwis have cool accents doesnt mean you can call us "yankees" out :p

I politely told him on page 2 that i didn't think it was feasible, and worth the time money and effort. As for my fellow countrymen.. I'm sure they were so excited to be involved with a project like this, and so bored at work(like me) that they overlooked his lack of knowledge in favor of letting thieir imaginations run wild.

Happy Independence Day!:D

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I guess then it would be a waste of time airing my desire to build a submersible aeroplane?

5. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Poida, not necessarily. If you can convince us that you have the money and place a few technical challenges in front of us we will have a go! Particularly if it is entertaining like the last one.
    I feel sorry for those taken in last time! :)

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Actually I think writing in now (your first post is #77) is more of a troll than what KC did. You are 'dissin' a fair number of people saying "I think I'm smarter than you". I don't think anyone was taken in "hook, line, and sinker", it had way too much space cadet written on it...as was apparent by some of the early replies.

On the other hand, one must remember that 50% of the people you meet will have below average intellegence. As submarine design is one of those areas where a cotter key can kill you, I felt it was necessary to show just how much some of these things can cost to reground some of the dreamers out there.

I have found that life, and trolls, are like a table stakes poker game. They can go on and on without getting anywhere unless you buy into the pot. I just called his hand...he bails, I don't lose anything...he stands, I have the winning hand and I get to do a fun project. Simple choice.

7. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Not taken in?

Jehardiman, are you sure that even on the 7/3/2006 you werent a believer?:D

8. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

If he came through with the money and hired me, I'd believe....:D

If he was a troll... so what... it cost me nothing, and was the correct wager. As I said before...I win either way. I recommend to you Pascal's Wager and and many trite saying on opertunity.

9. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

I'm not "seeking attention" never have been and never will, Infact I won't even continue this thread on through the design phase as privacy is of utmost importance in my book. Carrying a helicopter is far from "over the top". Funny you are from thailand as it makes a perfect example. My company was contracted out to re-design the landing system at BKK in early 02, and you guys wanted the entire thing to run on one phone line! When normal set ups (at ATL for exmple) require 7-13 depending on the installation. Yet we still managed to do it without going overbudget.

Yet with you being from thialand, and seeing your vessels (where they use auto engines just set on the rear of these boats and dip the driveshaft into the water with a prop on the end), It is easily understandable how this might be percieved as "over the top".

Yet with events such as this, negotiating in the publics eye is not a bad idea. It keeps both ends of the deal inline and one side from trying to pull out more than there fair share, if you knw what I mean...

10. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

hey kc
    I worked on fast attack subs for 6 years and on nuclear reactors for close to 20 years. I think the sub your talking about is much to large. There use to be one under construction in Gautier Mississippi that was about 40 feet long. It would be a much more suited sub unless you have about 50 people trained in operating it with you.

11. mariner 40

mariner 40 Junior Member

ps: if you have the money you say you do, buy a soviet made ti hull. they sell them cheap.

12. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

KC have a big catholic family with side-arm as dessert...... just maybe they could squeese enough sunday saving into the project.

I think it is doable for him......... this is a discussion gentlement. What one fantasy might be treated boosting by people who think they cant do it. I mean do you really think a sub technology is secret? The different is diesel and nuke........... the design and principle is same beside your sub is round or slim in apperance.

WDH

Edit: I am not bootlicking KC but its his money afterall....... I will like to see the a real big private sub created and see it float and in operation........ it may present a good alternative for the industry for people that have the extra clams and time to do a crazy dream:)

13. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Actually it is achievable..the cost is not that high..unless that boat is on nuke,and the needs to avoid detection and destruction by mean of using alloy like Titanium. There is a sub under construction in 2004 in Thailand..! KC there is a builder that had perform or attempted that in Thailand..they got to stop because of political pressure/obligation between Thailand and Sri Lanka. Those long tail super cavitating propeller you see in Thailand actually is real simple..and yet very efficient. In Malaysia they are called Iguana Tail..If you have the fund..for civilian usage, it can be build in a shipyard in Lumut, Malaysia, they have the experience, design and support from a Sweden company, unless you want it to be military..There is a few old boat up for sale..
    The cost of keeping and maintaining a Heesen 130 footer is about USD 500K per annum..(capital cost of boat not included)I expect it to be higher for a sub marine of the same lenght. Real keen to built one ? Even with any special requirement..no problem..

14. tin_soldier

tin_soldier Previous Member

Hi, this is interesting thread, I am new and attracted by the discussion of sub making.

I think this is too much for a lone ranger, need good well organized team backup and well economical backup by funder.

This project have a website? Publicity will do good for the sub as private huge sub can be mistaken for enemy vessel in foreign water.

tin

15. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Ari, I prefer something above water, so I can quickly bail out and swim for my life....... I don't have a pair of gills yet ok.:D

WDH

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.