Submarine Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kc135delta, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Great, I didnt design that submarine but providing my friends some ideas of the drawing some guys is selling in previous mention website:)

WDH

2. madalin

madalin Junior Member

Sorry, I apologize to you Wellydeckhand.

Those days it's so easy to build something in 3D MAX. The net is full with strange looking designs. Most of them looking too good to be true...
    I belive in simplicity.

3. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

I also have 50 million dollars that I am not sure what to do with.

I was thinking being able to traverse the ocean discreetly in a submarine, and thereby avoiding those pesky security checkpoints inherent in modern day air travel, would be money well spent. Private jets are so banal, I don't know how anyone can tolerate them.

I would also like a helicopter. But I don't want to surface my discreet sub to fly away. I would like to launch the helocopter via a torpedo tube, kind of like an ICBM port, then fly my copter once breaching the surface. I figure that capability is worth another 10 million or so.

"Must Haves" :

Nuclear powered, with diesel backup if I just want to make a weekend get-away and am having a hard time finding fuel.
    A tractor beam to retrieve anyone trying to escape me.
    A 50mm deck mounted machine gun to scare away sharks.
    Depthsounder / Fishfinder Combo with speed and temp.
    Yellow paint.

Thanks,

Mike

1 person likes this.
  4. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Send out a search party!

Ha-ha-ha, funny that Kc has somehow slipped off the edge of the earth.
    Didn't anyone tell him that the earth was really flat even though Galileo had some stupid notion that it might be shaped like a ball.
    No matter, the thread has a life of it's own, and no-one of us are missing him anyways!
    By the way, can any-one tell me where to collect my 50 bucks! :confused:

5. Billy Bones

Billy Bones Junior Member

JEHardiman has given us amateurs so much good info to chew on the internet over the years that I am perfectly willing to put my faith in his estimate.

OTOH, I have a hard time believing someone with $80million to blow on a toy such as this would make boatdesign.net his first stop, among many other things.

Still, this was fun, and popcorn is still cheap.

6. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

You all know that you're being pretty hard on KC...:rolleyes:

After more than 20 years as a civilian in U S Navy Deep Submergance R&D, I've known progam managers from DC to balk when we tell them the cost of a one-off mission specific design. A short feasibility study will cost $100-200K, the man-day rate of a good yard is $300-400 (that's not just wages, but insurance, hazmat, power, docks, cranes, etc.).

Submersibles can be rich mens toys; a submarine is real investment and building costs are just the tip of the iceberg. But then again, I've heard that "international investors" in the "small package trade"
    have plenty of money....:D .

7. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Brown nosing will get you everywhere........
    Or was that tongue in cheek?
    As talented as you may be I can only frown on your wanting to facilitate KC's
    need to pollute our home at more than his ( & families) alotted rate.
    Especially, when you and your crew are making shitloads out of it.
    I guess that is the American way tho'........take more than your share.
    One day enviromental legislation will outlaw similar megalomania.
    Tight lines :D

8. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

I have found a group to build it. It will be built in russia and enter service in 2012. Thanks for all of your replies and now it is becoming a reality.

I am told it will be built starting early 2010.

9. Wellydeckhand

Can I have a free dive in your new Russian Sub:)

Or do you need a butler?

WDH

10. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"I was thinking being able to traverse the ocean discreetly in a submarine,"

Fat Chance , since the 1950's cold war there are long strings of microphones littering huge areas of the ocean bottom.

All are connected to someones shore station, accurate enough in listening to know WHICH hull number they have.

EVERY sub is tracked , almost with the ease of skin painting a 747 with radar, true its less precise , your'e whereabouts will be known with only a few miles (instead of feet) accuracy.

This was common when I flew Anti Sub in the 1960's . now I assume they will know your brand of toilet paper, and what you had for dinner!

FAST FRED

11. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Is he serious?

Does Kc remember the little incident in the Barents sea in August 2000?
    Probably was too busy counting his $50 million to read the newspaper.

Construction of the Kursk began in Severodvinsk, near Arkhangelsk, in 1992. She was launched for the first time in 1994 and formally commissioned in December of that year. The ship was "baptized" by an Orthodox priest in 1995. The Kursk was the last of the large Oscar-II class submarines to be designed and approved in the Soviet era. At 155 metres in length, and four stories high, it was the largest attack submarine ever built. The class had also been described as "unsinkable" on account of its double hull. The outer hull, made of high-nickel high-chrome content steel just 8.5mm thick, had exceptionally good resistance to corrosion and a weak magnetic signature which helped prevent detection by Magnetic Anomaly Detection (MAD) systems. There was a two-metre gap to the two-inch-thick steel inner hull.

UNFORTUNATELY !!!

K-141 Kursk was a Russian nuclear cruise missile submarine which was lost with all hands when it sank in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000. :eek:

12. Wellydeckhand

During cold war, material was better due to Mad scientist spec and the communist govt unlimited cold war budget........

Now with economic rule tie down your waist, I think material is poorer than before. So you gonna really need a person on site that check all the stuff to make sure it does what it say it does................... or you be swimming with your family.

Kursk submarine wallpaper....... you can downkload it.

WDH

13. Toby P

Toby P Junior Member

But have you found anyone to design it first?:rolleyes:

If this is a genuine project, I, for one, would love to be kept up-to-date on this forum, but you can't design this thing via a forum - you will need a proper design team (qualified and experienced). See my PM for details.

ISD 2012? Best of luck!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  14. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

KC135delta, I wish you luck and all the joy of your vessel.

15. Milan

Milan Senior Member

It would be wrong to think that Russians don't know how to build submarines because Kursk sank. Subs are very complicated, many things can go wrong, especially with a breakthrough designs using a lot of new, untested technology and weapons.

Challenger accident didn't disqualify NASA as a space shuttle designers.

Milan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.