Submarine Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kc135delta, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Seals

Seals are not the problem here,

Making a hole in a pressure hull over about 1/3 of its lenght while maintaining stiffness for a seal to do its job is.

2. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

Here's just a quick whip-up of a rendering, nothing is set in stone so don't mind the flaws.

[​IMG]

Hull diameter: 6.095m (20ft)
    Sail height: 3.657m (12ft)
    length: 47.243m (155ft)

Obviously diesel electric, single screw and I was hopeing to get 20knts (atleast) on the surface and 10knts (atleast) underwater.

I was going to do a custom build, so no yard involved. That way we can have engineers talking to fabricators throughout the whole build. I will also be building my own covered drydock facility. All the fabricators and engineers will be either contracted out (cheaper) or hired outright (quality control) with that depending on what mood I am in the day of that decision.

I am very hands on incase you haven't noticed, and french at that; so mood determins everything. :)

3. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

So Sir,

I think you need an escape small submarine?

4. kc135delta

kc135delta Junior Member

I was planning on an escape capsule in the sail. The wife wouldn't ever step foot on it if there wasn't.

5. twakeley

twakeley NAME Student

Are there any subs now with so called escape capsules? The more and more you guys talk about it the less and less it seems feasible. My hat is off to you for trying, but it seems like a whole lot of time effort and money that I dont have. Good luck though!

6. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

Project management

KC,

Finishing a project like this may be possible even with huge doors in the pressure hull and all the gadgets you desire.

Finishing it successfully will depend on a well motivated crew. This crew will have to keep its motivation for a very long period. This means good project management is of utter importance.

No money can buy the motivation of a crew of experienced but "out of the box" thinking engineers for a long time.

7. alienzdive

alienzdive Junior Member

Finishing large contract soon and will be available to put togetger a team to design and build to your requirements, budget and time frame...

8. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Top speeds

Subs travel faster under the surface than they do on the surface. The old school subs used to travel faster on the surface, but that was when they were designed to be boats that submerged. Todays (U.S.) Navy only admits to a top speed of 25+ knots submerged. (we all know it's much faster, but thats a topic for a different thread)
    Just a little info. for you, good luck!!
    -Fig

9. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Submarine

KC 135 Delta..The only privately built sub marine of that size that I had known was in Thailand a few years ago. That sub was ordered by LTTE - the separatist army from Sri Lanka. I had no experience with sub marine construction but had oversee LPG mounded vessel construction.The method been used at that time is to pre rolled the tube(done in Holland I think) and assemble it on site.this tube is about 20 feet diametre and 100 feet long, 4 to 6 inches thickness, they had a dome about 6 feet high and 5 feet diametre.I don't know the thickness needed for a sub marine, if they need only half of the LPG vessel thickness..there is alot of steel you got to prepare..if you built for shallow dive sub then maybe you can built it like big skid tank for diesel. It is easier to get roll machine that can rolled 10mm thickness steel to form parts of the tube for assembly.We build skid tank..I'am very confident that the sub can be built if you have the fund, design and expertise.For this kind of work..a big part of the welding work are perform by robots or remotely control welding set.You doesn't need a dry dock for this project, a slipway will do.Is it for sale ?

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

before you partake on this venture ,you may want to go to newport news va, and get a tour of the shipyard that builds these submarines and electrice boats ,talk to the guys that build them and the engineers that design them and go downtown and spring for a few beers and talk to the crews ,,,,,,,good luck ,,,,longliner

1 person likes this.
  11. Wellydeckhand

Ok the escape boat might be a water tight floating rescue boat from big tanker..... the orange one...... once you open the hatch the thing just float upward and have an electric drive to go on for a while.......

12. pappastratos

pappastratos New Member

Think about this, I once saw where someone had a WWII Wiskey class sub for sale on a ship selling website, That would be easier,,,,

13. Wellydeckhand

14. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Somebody from Sweden have one that he would like to sell..used..maybe can be negotiated for civilian use by taking out all the weaponary..?

15. Wellydeckhand

The problem is sneaking cruising all over the world and pretent that your are a whale........;) you will lucky that they hail you before dropping funny barrel ....... and its aint free beer for the funny whale guys....:D:D:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.