submarine built in Colombian jungle

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dave Gudeman, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Dave Gudeman

Dave Gudeman Senior Member

Has anyone seen this article about Colombian drug subs? These aren't just towed submersibles, but long-range cargo subs with non-metallic hulls to help avoid sonar detection. What is impressive to me is the description of how they were built. All of the materials and parts apparently were smuggled up a jungle river in small boats.

I wonder if they are going to auction it off after the investigation is over :).

[​IMG]

2. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I think they're going to end up in museums. Fiberglass pressure hull. Shows what you can do with unlimited money to get your product to market!

3. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'd guess it was built elsewhere.

Like Thailand, Argentina or even Red China, then towed to Columbia.

That is what I would do.

My first guess would've been some German ex-pats in Argentina, until I saw the bit about "electrical wires are patched to the walls without any apparent logic".

I'd do a build like that where ordering resin and glass by the ton would be normal, and where lots of big warehouses are at the docks, and where there is an existing boat building industry, and where if you were "found out" half way through the build it wouldn't really matter. Nothing illegal about building a private sub for a "wealthy adventurer".

I'd think towing it across the Pacific would be trivial.

4. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I would do it out of concrete... ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"but long-range cargo subs with non-metallic hulls to help avoid sonar detection."

Sonar listens to sound , usually of the engine operating .
    The Sosus net has microphones on the sea floor for 5 decades .

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOSUS
    www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread199115/pg1

Metals from the hull are located with MAD gear,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_anomaly_detector

FF

6. Squidly-Diddly

whole affair smacks of "Our Man in Havana"

With the Soviet nuke sub threat gone, maybe the sub guys needed another Sub Threat for their funding.

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Follow the money.:)

8. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Accoding to the CNN news report they were actually semi submergibles--Ran along with just the conning tower above water. Apparently the operators suffered greatly from heat and fresh air.--

10. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I've also heard reports that they are now finding true submersibles. The game continues...

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

they could end the game completely, save themselves a fortune in wasted interdiction costs, prosecution, incarceration, crime and addiction related expenses if they would just legalize and get it over with. In countries where they have done this crime went way down as did addiction rates and drug related deaths. And they saved a ton of money.

oh well
    my bet is if gubments weren't making money off it it wouldn't be happening.

that sub is pretty slick, any pictures from inside ?

and ya it does look like they are getting more and more sophisticated, I remember the first ones looked more like wave piercing designs.

12. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

well they can't do that (legalize) even with weed - even in California. So no hope there.

Its funny how apparently prison guard unions were lobbying against the pro weed prop 19 in CA.

How is that for twisted world.

In my opinion (as someone who doesn't us marijuana) make it like booze/tobacco. Start cheap to push illegal competition out and add taxing gradually until its relatively expensive

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

They are operated awash not completely submerged snorting for combustion air. There have been many articles about them.

Around here, they are using GPS guided electric kayaks loaded heavy and sealed top-side so they're nearly awash. They are loaded with weed one way and cocaine the other.

Risky business.

-Tom

14. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

If they released everyone who was convicted of simple possession of marijuana in California it would about halve the prison population and the guards would be out of a job.

15. Squidly-Diddly

DrugWar shows THE inherent weakness of "Representive Democracy".

Fact is any politician getting close to talking about doing something to end the massive profits of Drug Cartels would be either murdered, or more likely be framed from some grotesque headline grabbing crime.

That is why you don't have any politicians able to even discuss "drugs" without suddenly taking on the manner of religious fundamentalist and repeating a host of Drug War platitudes(mostly about "the children") until they can run out of the press conference.

That can't happen with a National Referendum or direct democracy.

To corrupt a Direct Democracy you need to control the fine print of the Referendums offered to the public, which is a lot more work and only partly effective.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.