student project - arrangement-Marpol

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jollyricard, Aug 16, 2011.

1. jollyricard

jollyricard Junior Member

What are the differences between oil water separator and oil filtering equipment? when should i use them?
    i need to know this for my project( thesis);
    where do i find the firefighting equipment that i must install on board? Solas, FSS Code or Flag's instruction (ITALY).........

besides, what is the megger test that I often hear to speak ?

Many thanks in advance

Riccardo

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Oil/water separators are installed inline with the fuel supply from the storage tanks, they are simply designed to, well, separate the water from the fuel oil. This is simply done by gravity, water falls to the bottom of the container, the fuel oil is taken from the top of the container. They also often incorporate a filter to reduce contaminants, rated in microns, such as 10 microns. This means that particles larger than 10 microns will be removed by the filter cartridge, but particles smaller than 10 microns will pass thru.
    Oil filtering is another story. There are basically two systems, one for fuel oil, as stated above, but the other one is in fact engine oil, and it is engine oil that we refer to when stating oil filtering. It is done again with cartridges, the engine oil is pumped thru the filter under pressure and particles are removed , trapped by the cartridge. There are remote filter systems also, google Alfa Laval for instance to see centrifugal filters.
    Try RINA for your fire fighting equipment lists.
    A megger test is an electrical test done to confirm the resistance of an electrical cables insulation. It is measured in Mega Ohms...new installations are measured in millions , but that deteriorates in time, so by keeping a record of the megger test, you can determine when things are getting bad.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Hoyt; reference to the afrikaner/police problem is waaay off topic but it is an item of more than causal interest. I, along wth most Americans, was not aware of that kind of social unrest in SA.

5. jollyricard

Dear All
    many thanks for answers;
    Therefore is the OWS( oil water separator) that must be used on board in order to verify the annex 1 of the Marpol, is this true?

best regards

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

afrikaaner links are part of signature and not part of the topic discussion.

7. jollyricard

Landlubber thanks for answer;
    Have you got any requirements for firefighiting lists?
    Thanks in advance

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.