Striking New Power Cat Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Sep 2, 2007.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

H2X YACHTS: MCAT 88'​
    Design Alert!​

Modern contemporary design advances slowly, by degrees; but on occasion a striking new image breaks through, destined to resound in the idea output of future planners. Witness fine art’s Picasso. And a 'Today' example: the Hummer burst upon the auto scene – an imaginative, burly presence which influenced many a car model in the ensuing years.

Now, YachtForums.com presents a bold, virile concept in what may be the 'Hummer' of cruising yachts; a strong, masculine, yet still elegant design. The yacht is the H2X MCAT "Bradley", a remarkable statement that is surely the MRAP of yachting’s today and tomorrow, certain to influence the new generation of naval architects

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/new-custom-classic-unique-yacht/7422-review-h2x-88-m-cat-bradley.html

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Interesting Brian, but another example of excess. Maybe it provides honest work for some yardworkers. Have to admit, it looks better than some of the power cats I see on the ICW although the superstructure tops does look kinda like a couple of stacked mushrooms. Ok, I'm prejudiced against the super rich and maybe a tiny bit envious.

Bold, Virile, Masculine, Brawny Facade, Lifestyle, 2 bedroom Apartment,
    Lodging space, Adventure lodge, Double jacuzzi spa, Shaded lounge,
    Outdoor partying, Heavy oaken beams

Are they talking about a boat or a New York apartment?:D

3. brian eiland

Trail Blazers

We need a few of these 'trail blazers' to inspire innovation in a pretty conservative market, particularly the American market.

Maltese Falcon might be termed 'a bit excessive' as well, but wait till you see the ramifications down the road.
    http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12459

Brian

4. Nojjan

Nojjan All thumbs...

I don't agree...

The interior seems nice but I have to say that the exterior is neither new nor tastefull, somewhat tacky actually (looks to be gold metallic paint, are we back in the -80's !?). There are plenty of more innovative designs only in this forum, sorry. On the other hand taste is individual, so maybe someone likes it. Attached is something I find more pleasing.

Attached Files:

5. brian eiland

I would have to agree with much you have said Nojjan.

Then again I have never found many of the Wally vessels that pretty either, but for some reason they do have a dedicated following of clients willing to spend BIG dollars.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/wally-yacht/2764-latest-wally-designs.html
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=228055

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Oh come on Tom - the only thing wrong with excess is that neither you or I have it!;)

Have to agree on the styling front - it just doesn't quite work for me... with the exception of the thumper in the middle, it's conspicuously short on windows. And the fitout lacks the flair of some of the better contemporary designs IMHO

7. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Now you are getting personal:rolleyes:

Maybe we are talking about the gulf between styling and beauty. One is a current fashion and the other is more permanent. If you read the description without looking at the pictures, it's hard to realize they are talking about a boat. Sounds much more like Madison Avenue than the waterfront. Can't believe a real boat person would be impressed by that crap.

8. Willallison

I didn't even read the description!
    Of course, there's nothing to say that one can't have both... my wife is both stylish and beautiful.....
    So is the Hinkley picnic boat....
    ...Don't ask me to choose which I'd rather...:eek:

9. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

As for style - De gustibus non est disputandum:D

10. brian eiland

I believe this might explain part of the equation. How many people feel the Hummer was a nice looking road vehicle?? ....not me, but to each his own.

11. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Brian, it's difficult for me to think that anyone really thinks a Hummer is a good looking road vehicle. What the Hummer says to me is: "Get out of my way, I'm coming through". I expect it makes many inadequate people feel intimidating. In the form follows function sense, it makes no sense.
    :rolleyes:

12. Willallison

Ah - but you forget what the Hummer was originally developed for. If my take on US auto history serves me correctly, it was a military vehicle developed from the Chev Suburban. It was only later that blokes in the marketing department (who we all know have little peckers) figured it would help to inflate the ego's of other similarly endowed road users....

13. brian eiland

No, the Hummer was developed as a military vehicle on its own. It was only when they decided to build a road version that they sought to utilize Suburban parts.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes the hummer was a replacement for the very long toothed jeep. Some serious off road improvements were also required.

However typical of the American public obsessed with miltary and guns,even naming things in military jargon such as ground zero and even the president aircraft is call Airforce one!!!!!! It was therefore inevitable that a public version was made or converted with leather seats and air conditioning.

A tax deduction can be obtained for Americam citizens when buying a Hummer which I seem to remember from a BBC documentary that they were extremely economical,-- when compared to a B51 bomber.

15. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Styling wise the cat says; I've got IT, and I'll kill you to keep it.:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.