Strake for 14 ft Aluminum

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bargecraft, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Bargecraft

Bargecraft New Member

I have a project that's been waiting for a few years. I think the boat is mfg. by Lund and approximately 50 year old. The original wood strakes are shot. But I have not found any replacements that would seem to work. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I dont think the strakes are OEM, probably added by some previous owner.
    Why not replace them with same?
    If not, a fiberglass or aluminum 2x2 angle could be used to eliminate the rot problem, maybe get another 50 good years out of her!

3. Bargecraft

Bargecraft New Member

I like your idea of staying with wood. Do you have any suggestions of type? I was thinking that oak might work.

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

This is not a strake !! this is a spray rail . Because the shape of the hull is rounded water clings to the surface of the hull and wants to climb and not let go It does not need to be as big as what was there before A strip of L shapped aluminium rivited all the way along the side would do the same job simply to shed the water off the hull .:)

5. Bargecraft

Bargecraft New Member

Well, in MONTANA this is a strake!!;) A spray strake. OK aluminum is back on the table.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

to see water climb do a simple test with a big spoon and a gentle stream of water coming out of a tap Hold the back of the spoon just against the stream of water about 6 to 9 inchs away from the tap !You will see the water will almost go all the way round the back of the spoon till it reachs the sharp corner where it will let go and fall . To make a inflateable boat go fast you need to get the tubes out of the water because it will climb quite a long way up the side of the tube , apart from water drag friction it adds weight and holds the hull to the surface of the water .:p

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Oak would be good but heavy. This is not a strake. It's a rub rail at the dock and a spray rail while underway. But mostly a spray rail as Tunnels suggests.
    And it's not too big. Many soft chine boats of the 50s had them. It should be laminated from several pcs of perhaps Douglas Fir. Use the hull as a form perhaps. Use resorcinal (sp?) glue for lam. I don't know how to attach it though. Screws and fender washers I spoze but would take many. Nix on alum angle ..look like Wall-Mart and prolly bend and never be straight and look right again. When aluminum manufacturers but them on they used a tapered and flanged angle but the two edges of the angle was riveted to the boat. I think thats only a factory option and capability. Those Lunds are all over the place up here and I don't think Iv'e ever seen one w an wood spray rail. Could really be 50yrs old!

Easy Rider

8. Bargecraft

Bargecraft New Member

Thanks for all the input. I will let you know how the spray turns out!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.