Stitch & Glue Cathedral ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alan_VA, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Alan_VA

Alan_VA Junior Member

A friend has a really large pond and wants a low speed electric powered very stable boat in the general style of Galadriel’s swan boat in Lord of the Rings. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/billd/2364758593/) At this point in time, I am thinking in terms of a cathedral hull that uses the centerline stem to emulate the swan's breast and the outboard hulls as wings sweeping aft.

Loving worked examples as starting points, I'm looking for cathedral hull plans - hopefully of the stitch & glue variety.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Alan

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The Lord of Rings "Swan boat" looks to be little more then a short, "long boat" with a swan figurehead. This wouldn't be very difficult to build.

I'd recommend starting with a "Pee Pod" style of hull, maybe a multi chine version if you don't want the lapstrake version shown in the movie (a glued lap would be pretty and much easier to build).

Stability can be achieved with some additional beam, though the pee pod is a pretty wholesome craft as it is, especially ballasted down to her load lines.

The cathedral hull you mentioned has some merit, though I think you could go the "full Monte" with a hull very similar to a swan's body, without the wings dragging in the water, still being very stable.

In fact, there are plastic (roto molded and regular 'glass) versions of this type of craft. There's one near here which is peddle powered. It's a swan body, detailed feathers and all, basically flat bottomed (for stability) and peddle power. This could be updated to electric (some come this way) or small gas.

If you'd like further information, then drop me an email (click on my name) and we'll see what you can work with.

3. Alan_VA

Alan_VA Junior Member

More Explanation....

PAR - Thanks for your inputs.

1. When I said it needs to be "very stable" - picture 4-6 middle aged adults dressed in Jane Austin-era attire in the late afternoon or evening. My friend throws very involved parties from time to time.

2. Composite is out, per the friend's requirements. Epoxy infusion can be part of the solution.

3. Thinking about your "swan's body" idea, the other hullform that immediately comes to mind is a modified Viking design. Fewer transitions between convex and concave curves.

Your thoughts?

Alan

4. PAR

The long boat is a Viking design, though not especially stable, it seems to be the base for the movies model. Knowing movie set makers, it's probably a jon boat that's been "dressed" to look like a lapstrake with a swan figurehead.

If composite is out, then why is resin infusion in? I wouldn't recommend either for a novice builder.

Several fat, one legged (without prosthetic), very drunken sailors can stand up in a pee pod and not upset the thing. There are other designs also that are disgustingly stable, that can be adorned with a swan suit. What's your budget?

5. Alan_VA

Alan_VA Junior Member

Please excuse the likely mis-use of terminology

Sorry for the delay in responding. Out of town. Resin infusion is not really what I meant. Should have said "resin protected", as in "use epoxy glue and epoxy-based paints". Very sorry.

The swan boat needs to have a swan theme only above the waterline.

Since my last post, I've been trying to clean up my own mental picture of what can work. One of the ideas I've had is to simplify the longboat hullform underwater (flat x-sections with rocker, or very slight deadrise), use pretty hard turns at the bilges, and follow with some degree of flare up to the shear line. I would still use a transom stern to keep the waterplane relatively wide when going aft. I do not want to get into warping plywood; Lapstrake underwater still works where appropriate.

The all-up budget is $10K. He and I are the likely builders.

6. PAR

It would be quite simple to render up, just about any stable platform to have the swan look. It would be nice if it was easy to propel too, which calls for a reasonable hull form.

[​IMG]

This is currently being made by "Adventureglass" as is this one, which is a four person.

[​IMG]

Personally I think they look terrible, but kids love them.

There are other companies that do similar and all could receive an electric power upgrade.

The image you've shown is a Viking long boat with a swan stemhead.

Each could be done and both could be very or overly stable.

A glued lap build, with a flat bottom and a swan stemhead doesn't present a particularly difficult design issue, though I don't know of any "stock" designs available for such.

If it was me, I'd opt for a double ended shape, again like a pee pod, but use a flat bottom, with a little rocker for maneuverability. This would make it easy to propel, efficient if electric motor(s) were used and it would still be very stable with it's flat bottom. You could have the wings tuck up aft, much like a pinky and the midship and forward areas open to the crew.

On the other hand, a foam core, 'glassed version would offer the opportunity to create a full swan look. Literally a 10 times life size swan, with a hollowed out back for crew. You'd carve the foam to the detail and accommodations you desired, then skin it with a few layers of fabric. Okay, it's not wood working, but you could take the swan concept to it's maximum.

If you'd like a swan long boat design, I could set you up, for not much money, with a set of plans to do it in the method of your choice.

7. Alan_VA

Alan_VA Junior Member

He definitely would not appreciate the hollowed-out plastic swan.

Thanks for the design offer, but at this point he still trusts me to put pen to paper. I appreciate your suggestions about modifying the effects of a flat bottom by adding rocker. Maybe that's because they match my current line of thinking...great minds thinking alike..... ;-)

Alan