Stern Deck or Hull?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Danielsan, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Don't know if I put the question the right way.

Is there a reason when looking at the stern part of some boats, (seen hull and deck apart) the sternpart is sometimes a part of the deck? So the swimplatform and so are one piece with the deck(mould) and the hull is sort of an open structure. The sternpart of the hull is just the vertical part where sterndrive is mounted and all above is already part of the deck mould?

Strange question?

Greetings,

2. RThompson

RThompson Senior Member

Hi Danielsan,

Most that I'v seen stems from a styling/form issue.
    ie: the gun'l (hull/deck join) sweeps down in the stern area, and the top of the "transom" slopes forward somewhat, giving it negative draw if it were to be part of the hull mold.
    Some don't really have a transom above the gun'l, and there is no natural break in the boat's aft shape in order to join parts.

Also, if the boat is to have a swim platform on it as standard then
    A: it is not practical to mold the top surface of it into the hull,
    and B: it is more economical to make it part of the deck mold. Generally speaking the fewer molds used to make a boat the cheaper it is to build.

Rob

3. Danielsan

Danielsan Amateur designer-builder?

Answer is more simplified than the question, it is in the way I was thinking, now I can go on without to worrie about it

Thx,

Greetings

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.