Steering

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by shaun2222, Apr 30, 2008.

1. shaun2222

shaun2222 New Member

Sorry if this is the wrong section, wasnt quiet sure where i should post this question.

I have a small 11ft fiberglass boat that i'm working on. The boat has a 25hp evinrude wacker attached to the back and came with a cable steering system. The system is worked and i want to replace it but i dont want a cable system. I would like to find maybe a rack and pinion system or somthing else that would work. The problem i'm finding is that my dash on this boat is only 3.5" tall and the standard rack & pinion systems from teleflex are too large. Anybody know where i can find steering systems for smaller boats?

2. shaun2222

shaun2222 New Member

here's the boat in case it helps at all.
    [​IMG]

Dash
    [​IMG]

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

yes a hydrive hydraulic will fit, or most any, prepared spend dough ray me

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

TeleFlex use to make the helm you probably need, but unfortunately they don't any more.

You may have to live with a couple of inches of helm unit hanging below the instrument panel, but from all vantage points except lying on the floor, you'd never notice.

If it's that big a deal for you then go look at TeleFlex part number SH 5210 P, which is a sterndrive setup and may work for you. It uses the SSC 134 cable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.