Stabilized Monohull (tri hulls) Powerboat for Cruising

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Jul 19, 2011.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

For those interested here is an interesting project from idea conception, to building of vessel, to start of cruise up thru Indonesia and eventually the Philippines

Over on another boating forum:
    http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/beaus-boat-9093.html
    ...too many postings and photos to replicate here

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Yes, that one was discussed here (I have no clue which thread) a few years back.....I believe it belongs in the "we don't need no stinkin designer's!" column...A revolutionary hull form that was supposed to run twice as fast on half the power.......came out twice as heavy as "designed", which the owner/designer now seems to be blaming the builders for......he keeps buying bigger engines but has never managed "claimed design speed"........also was supposed to be a motorsailer, but no rig or sails have been fitted......

3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Sorry Tad, I guess I should have looked thru that thread more closely and some of its content. I just had a notification that a recent posting had been made to it, and thought there would be some homebuilders interested in such a project.

In fact now that I mention that maybe it presents some lessons on that score...some things to avoid.

4. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

It's no an interesting project. More it's totally flawed. Reading the thread shows it. The first pic of the first post shows that it's a monster.

It's ugly, very ugly, horribly ugly. More than heavy with all the flats surfaces needing a lot of framing. Stupid to use aluminum for a 39 feet "multihull", too heavy for that job.

Impossible claims like 10 knots with 1 30HP outboard, 20 knots with 2 30HP outboards (that begins badly as the drag of a hull is not a linear function...)

I don't want to imagine the vertebrae pounder that this thing can be. The square section amas must be annoying (euphemism) when flapping on the water's surface.

Gosh, how some people can design that, an insult to naval architecture, and can find the money to build these piece of....???

Yes Briand, exactly what not to do. It's extraordinary; nobody becomes an amateur dentist or physician, and a lot imagine that boat design is an easy task ..Sorry guys, boat design needs a lot of knowledge, far more than a simple book read in diagonal, a lot of experience, and a gift.

5. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Good lord man that thing was ..... well beyond words.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Had a quick look. Interesting ......... Claims of "no bow wave" and therefore no wave resistance. Also fascinating is the claim that flat surfaces are can provide lower resistance. :rolleyes:

It's not just the amateurs who live in a world of alternative physics. Thirty years ago or so in National Fisherman a professional boat designer and builder wrote about how vertical surfaces on a boats hull didn't cause any frictional resistance because the water pressure was vertical. After reading that I was very skeptical of anything he wrote of a technical nature.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.