sponsons

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stvc86, Aug 31, 2009.

1. stvc86

stvc86 Junior Member

great advice, you don't sound like a village idiot to me. i've never seen the vent port you're talking about. Do you have any pics on how they do this? i'm envisioning a line say 3/4 to 1" running from above the water line down to the tunnel. does this sound even close, or did i just steal your title?

2. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

Yes, that's close.

If you search the refugeforums link I posted, you should find some pics. It is basically just a hole drilled through the bottom of the boat at the leading edge of the tunnel (just inside the front of the tunnel). You can run a pipe up inside the boat - ideal is to run it up into a console if you have one, then put the valve where you can reach it while running the boat. Main thing is to have the opening above the waterline. If you put your hand over the opening while running the boat, you can feel the vacuum.

To test this on an existing tunnel, you can glue a PVC pipe to the inside roof of the tunnel and run it out and up the transom to above the waterline. It doesn't help on all pocket tunnel boats, just most of them. Again, a good cupped prop with large swept blades is ideal for dealing with the aerated water.

3. stvc86

stvc86 Junior Member

progress?

P1060758.JPG P1060758.JPG

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.